Friday, February 10, 2012

Orca Bay - 2/10/12



Since I had it up on the wall -

Figured I might as well sew it together -

And - since I like to sew "chunks" -
Instead of rows -

Take the first one down -



Lay it out on a nifty little mini-design board -


Switch it to a smaller mini-design board -
Pull down the rest of the top two rows -
Each “chunk” on its own little board -
How handy is that? ;))


Leaving the bottom row -
And the top strip -
Up on the wall -


Take the first mini-board -
Sew the side Red Goose to the Black Block -
Sew the bottom Red Goose to the Blue String Block -


It should be easy to keep the Geese and the Blues -
Going the “correct” way -
One mini-board or “chunk” at a time -

I leave the paper on the Geese -
And clip the dog-ears -
AFTER I sew them together -
I know - Don’t tell the Quilt Police! - ;))


Trim the dog-ears -
Sew the last seam -
Take the paper off -
And - one “chunk” done - 9-1/2” square -
(Sorry about the glare - the overhead lights don’t play nice with the plastic rulers) -


The paper helps keep all of the bias edges -
On the string blocks under control -
When they get sewn to another section -

I try to remember to remove the paper from the seam allowance -
Before it crosses another seam and gets buried - ;))


And a good pair of tweezers -
Helps with the corners -


Aw, man! -
And here I was doing so well - ;))




Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

5 comments:

Linda said...

Yep! Been there - done that. More than once actually. Amazing how easy it is to get those geese going in the wrong direction.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Looking good! Can't wait to see it finished! :o)
xo

Karen M said...

I love to see the progress. Thanks for sharing.

Quilting_Chris said...

Love your little design boards. I have such trouble keeping what goes where.

Aileen said...

I am a left-handed quilter! We rock!
Love your blocks. I am working on them as well but had to stop to do other stuff. Just cut the 700 triangles today. till have the 5.5 inch string blocks to start.
Aileen

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...