Sunday, November 25, 2012

QJ - Anniversary Quilt

QUILT JOURNAL - ANNIVERSARY QUILT

Quilt-As-You-Go
Preprinted blocks alternated with Machine Quilted solid blocks
One solid block is hand quilted

Queen-Size
Started - August 1994
Completed - January 1995

Made as a gift for my Mom & Dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary

Reference - McRee Hickman booklet
Quilt-As-You-Go method

The story is below -
In an edited version of the letter I included with the quilt -








QJ - 1995

===

January 1995 -

HAPPY 50TH ANNIVERSARY MOM & DAD!!

Let me tell you the story of this quilt.

Some months back, I was trying to figure out just what to do to celebrate your 50th Anniversary. I wanted it to be really special. It finally came down to three choices:

1) Hand-quilt a wholecloth queen-size guilt.
No, that would take forever and I don't have the time.

2) Hand-piece and then quilt a double wedding ring queen-size quilt.
I could get a pre-cut kit but it would still take forever and I don't have the time.

3) Machine quilt a queen-size quilt from those stars you said you liked last Thanksgiving (1993).
Yes; you liked the stars; it would go together rather quickly. I had the time.

I figured I would need 25 stars for a 5 x 5 grid approximately 90" square. Off to the store I went. They had 12 stars on a bolt but 2 were flawed - OK 10. The clerk and I found a 2-star panel already cut - OK 12. I had 2 at home - OK 14. I could alternate with plain pink blocks and hand-quilt those. I got the fabric for the backing.

Off I went to the other store for the pink - they had a little over 2 yards left. I bought it all. Once home I discovered that I didn't have 2 stars. I had given one to a coworker - OK 13. I could still do it.

X O X O X
O X O X O
X O X O X
O X O X O
X O X O X

X = 13 STARS
0 = 12 PINK BLOCKS

TOTAL = 25 BLOCKS

In the meantime, I sent away for a booklet (McRee Hickman) on a new technique I had seen mentioned in a book. The booklet arrived and I cut the blocks. I had to fudge on the pink. After I cut out all the white backs, I found out the blue was 2 inches shorter in width and had to fudge on the blue and re-cut the white. There was no pattern - I had to make it up as I went along - like life.

I hand-quilted one pink block. Another coworker came up with a route for stitching the stars with a minimum of starts and stops and a very long continuous line. So far, so good! I stitched a few stars.

I set it aside for a while - I had lots of time.

I finished the quilt in January and mailed it to you early - just because. I included a verse from "Aunt Jane of Kentucky" by Eliza Calvert Hall.

HAPPY 50TH ANNIVERSARY MOM & DAD!!



4 comments:

Linda said...

That's such a nice quilt. And your story to go along with it was very special and enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Linda C said...

What a sweet story!

Ashley said...

I was interested in learning more about the quilt as you go method. I can't seem to find the booklet anywhere and was wondering where you ordered your copy from or in what book the method was mentioned? If you could let me know, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks,
Ashley

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ashley - you come up as a "no-reply" commenter - so I will answer your comment here is you don't mind -

I made this quilt almost twenty years ago and don't know if the booklet is still available or not (probably not). The technique may have changed a bit though the years so I would suggest searching online for any YouTube videos available. They should help you to learn the method - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...