Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Bit of Organizing -


New Year -

New Beginning -

And a bit of organizing -

To get things started - ;))

“They” say that whatever you do -

On the First Day of the New Year -

You will do -

Throughout the year -

So I made sure that I did some of my favorite things -

Talked with family and friends -

Sewed a little -

Knitted a little -

Took a nap -

And left the Business stuff for Friday - ;))

I know that this year is going to be one of -

SORTING and ORGANIZING STUFF -

And deciding what to keep -

What to give away -

What to donate -

And what to toss - ;))

But before I start to sort through the boxes in the garage -

I thought I would start with some FUN stuff - ;))

This is what my Company sees -

If I have a friend over for lunch - ;))


On New Year’s Day -
I put everything back where it belonged - ;))


The sewing machine on the LEFT -
Was hiding behind the cookie jar and poinsettia -
And is set up for FMQ - ;))
I’ll tell you more about that when I get to my FMQ - ;))

The one on the RIGHT is set up for Foundation Paper Piecing - ;))
The poor thing is so old that no matter what the Stitch Length dial says -
It sews teeny-tiny stitches -
So if I put in a LARGE needle -
She is PERFECT for Foundation Paper Piecing - ;))

I set up the two folding tables -
That had been smooshed in my sewing room/studio -
In an “L” shape in front of the fireplace -
With my sunken table in front - ;))


My Husqvarna Lily 555 is set up with her custom walking foot -
For quilting “in the ditch” and sewing on bindings - ;))


And Sergio (my serger) fits on the end closest to the TV -
In the little “jog” made where the tables don’t quite meet - ;))


LindaJ made Sergio’s cover a while back -
With pockets all around and his name on the front -
And one day a friend asked what a serger DID -
So I took the cover off -
To show her the inside where LindaJ had serged the seams -
And then just left it that way - ;))

SuzieQ sits in front of the window -
In my sewing room/studio -
And is set up for piecing and machine applique -
Now that I have matched the blanket stitch -
That I like on my Husqvarna Lily 555 - ;))


For me -
It is easier to set up each machine -
With whatever foot - needle - and thread -
Needed for my various projects -
And then sit at whatever machine -
Than it is to be constantly changing stuff -
Every time I sit down to sew something -
AND I have the luxury of SPACE -
So I do what works for me - ;))

After I got the sewing machines back to where they belong -
I decided to see what I could do about my -
UFOs - Projects - and Squirrels - ;))

Most of my Projects have their own tub/bin -
But the ones that are “Not Quite Done” -
Are all over the place - ;))

I already had some of the UFO tops -
Hanging in a closet -


And I had already put some drawer units -
In the hallway closet -
Closest to my sewing room/studio -
Which has no closet (or door) -


So I got some gallon and 2-gallon baggies -
Some hangars -
And some clothespins -
Rearranged the scrap boxes -
And hung some of the UFOs on the rod - ;))


Some of the larger projects -
Went into some of the drawers below -
If they were just too heavy -
For the dinky little clothespins - ;))
(They sure don’t make those like they used to!!)

Now - IN THEORY -
I can get up in the morning -
Get my cup of coffee -
Open the closet door -
Flip through the projects -
And decide what I want to play with -
The same way -
I flip through my clothes -
Trying to decide what I want to wear - ;))

Key words -
IN THEORY - ;))

I’ll let you know if it actually works - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Cindy Quilts said...

I like your set up for your machines. I wish I had the room for that. I also like that you are able to browse through your projects so easily. What a great way to start your day - coffee and browsing! Thanks for sharing.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks - it IS nice to have the room to spread out - but I still need to get some of my other projects organized. There are quite a few that simply won't fit in that little closet - and they wind up in the other closet - and on the dining room table - and stacked under the table - and anywhere else I can find a spot. It would probably help if I actually "finished" some of them - but I can't seem to get my mojo to "finish" stuff if things are all over the place - ;))

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am envious of how well you are 'kitted' out...machines and closets and spaces, etc. I love your idea of the large plastic bags pegged to hangers. Yes, I too need things a bit organized or I can feel overwhelmed. I'm glad I found you in space. I will be following...

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Jocelyn - Welcome to my blog!! - I still have a bit more organizing to do - but I keep getting distracted by some of the stuff that I find - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...