Monday, July 25, 2016

Design Wall Monday - 7/25/16 -

DESIGN WALL MONDAY -
Check out all of us who link up with Judy L. -
At Patchwork Times on Mondays.
We have some awesome stuff on our walls!
Well, THEY do - ME - not so much sometimes - ;))
===



On my wall today -



And some more waiting to be sewn -


I have a pile of quilts to quilt and really need to get back to practicing my Free-Motion Quilting - but I keep seeing "Squirrels" and getting distracted -

And I'm sorting my SCRAPS - again -

They always seem to need sorting -

Why is that? - ;))

I did a post a couple of years ago - LHQ - Scrap Management - HERE -

But I've changed the way I sort my SCRAPS through the years -

Now I consider a SCRAP to be anything smaller than a FAT QUARTER or REGULAR/LINEAR 1/4 yard -

And I sort them by COLOR first -


THEN by SIZE/SHAPE -

I started sorting by COLOR first because it's pretty much a no-brainer -
I throw my scraps into some plastic drawers that I put under my dining room table -
Six plastic drawers - Six colors - one drawer for each color -
Red - Orange - Yellow - Blue - Green - Purple -


But eventually - I need to sort the COLORS by SIZE/SHAPE -
SELVAGES - STRINGS - SQUARES - TRIANGLES - CHUNKS - CRUMBS -

That part is FUN - and the categories are VERY loosely defined -
The difference - to me - between a CHUNK and a CRUMB -
Is the difference between BIG and SMALL -
And that depends on my mood on any particular day - ;))

I keep my NEUTRALS separate and sort them - muslin - light/cream backgrounds - medium/tan backgrounds -

I also like to keep my BATIK scraps separate because they are usually a much denser weave than ordinary cotton -

But I toss my CHRISTMAS fabric scraps in with the other reds/greens/neutrals - ;))

I'm curious - how do you sort your scraps? - ;))

Do you sort by COLOR first - then SIZE? -

OR -

Do you sort by SIZE first - then COLOR? -

Do you include BATIKS - or sort them separately? -

Do you separate out any particular THEME - Patriotic - Christmas - Civil War? -

Any or all of the above? -

Let me know in the comments below -

I'm curious - ;))

It seems like no matter which way I sort them - they get out of control - and I can never find what I'm looking for. I've tried Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User's System - but because I don't use strips and the "specialty" rulers - it doesn't really work for me. I can never seem to get a good "cut" with those rulers so I wind up using my June Tailor Short-Cut slotted ruler and 10" squares or fat quarters or yardage.

I sometimes forget that I have an Accuquilt GO! and various dies that I can use - so I think I want/need to go through my scraps and cut them into the sizes that I need to make some of those scrap quilts that keep dancing around in my head - ;))

That might work - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Gene Black said...

I am sorting by size at this point. I may or may not go back and sort by color.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Gene - ;))

AnnieO said...

I sort my scraps by color into plastic drawers but arrange my bins ROY G BIV fashion. My bins are for scrapbooking originally but I like them because they have lids and don't let in dust. I partially use Bonnie's system for strips and squares but don't cut as many sizes as she does; I sort them by color within a certain width cut (1.5", 2.5", etc) in plastic drawers. Fat quarter sized scraps live in a repurposed tall lingerie chest I got from my sister in law. Strings are not something I save. I forget I have a GO cutter sometimes too!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing, Annie - the scraps in the plastic drawers under my dining room table are ROY G BIV fashion - but I combine the IV to make P - Purple - since I only have six drawers - LOL. I have another 2 sets of drawers in the hall closet with strips sorted by size and then by color - trying to use Bonnie's system - but not really working out. FQ are in the other room in "shoe cubbies" from Target - along with yardage folded on some shelves - flat folds on some other shelves - strings and selvages and "bits" are in separate bins. I sort out solids and plaids, too. Thanks again for sharing - I think we all pretty much have more than we need at any given time - but it is SO much playing with - rearranging - and petting my fabric - I wouldn't have it any other way - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...