Friday, September 30, 2016

Not much progress today -


Well - I got as far as cutting the binding strips -


I really like the Susie's Magic Binding method that I mentioned in previous posts - little flange detail and sewn TOTALLY by machine - which is a HUGE plus since hand work is getting more difficult for me as time goes by - ;))

The "gold" will be the "accent" color - the backing fabric will be the outer binding color. I thought that it might be a "waste" of all that pretty gold fabric because you'll just see a tiny bit of it - but it didn't look quite right as the outer border color. That little bit of "gold" should be just enough to keep the border/binding from looking too plain - besides - it's been my stash for years - and it goes perfectly with this quilt top - might as well use - what else am I going to do with it? - ;))

Then I tried to find the instructions for Fast Finish Triangles - as an alternative to the traditional hanging sleeve - and I could have sworn that I found them originally on Ami Sims - Alzheimer's Quilt Initiative - website but I couldn't find a link - so I checked out YouTube and found these two videos -

#1 - How to Hang Small Quilts - It's Easy! - Heirloom Creations - HERE -

#2 - How to Hang Your Quilts with 3 Hand Stitches - HERE -

The first one is similar to the one I was looking for - and the second one is very clever - I might try that on some of my larger quilts -

And maybe tomorrow I'll get the binding strips sewn together -

And actually attached TO my quilt - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

Wow, I had never seen the one for larger quilts. I think that is a great idea. Of course I never think of a sleeve for a larger quilt since I make them to be used.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

The one for the larger quilts was new to me, too - so I to wanted to share my find. I don't usually add a sleeve to the quilts that I make for the grandkids - but I do for "wallhangings". I once made a "lap quilt" for someone with no sleeve - intending it to be used on the couch in her "family room" - the first she wanted to do was hang it on the wall for everyone to see. It's one of those things - if you put one on - it's there to use or not - if you don't put one on - you may wish that you had. And the majority of my sleeves blend in with the backing fabric and are difficult to see - I had several quilts hung in quilt shows "side-ways" because the ladies didn't see the hanging sleeve - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...