Monday, July 4, 2016

Design Wall Monday - 7/4/16


DESIGN WALL MONDAY -
Check out all of us who link up with Judy L. -
At Patchwork Times on Mondays.
We have some awesome stuff on our walls!
Well, THEY do - ME - not so much sometimes - ;))
===


Happy 4th of July!! - ;))

With all of my computer and sewing "adventures" yesterday - I forgot that today was Design Wall Monday -

So -

On my wall today -



These are the first four Pinwheel Polka blocks from a Craftsy class that I'm taking called - Quick-Strip Paper Piecing - with Peggy Martin. My bloggy buddy, Gene Black is taking the same class and is an affiliate - so I'll give you a link to his post - HERE - where he talks about it. If you click through and purchase the class through his blog, he'll get a small stipend - at NO extra cost to you - and it helps to keep him in supplies - ;))

Peggy's technique is similar to mine with two exceptions - I cut "chunks" and she cuts "strips" - and I trim the excess "before" I add the next piece - she trims "after" - so with just a couple of minor changes in my routine - I was able to do it "her" way - and I LOVE IT!! - ;))

Gene and I tend to go "outside the box" at times - and this is one of those times. I played around with EQ7 and tweaked her Pinwheel Polka pattern a little - I made the background areas a bit smaller and some of the star points a bit bigger - ;))

If you have never tried Foundation Paper Piecing - or if you HAVE tried and simply hated it - I STRONGLY recommend this class. Peggy makes it SO simple - and SO logical - no flipping everything over every two seconds - and the class materials include several patterns and one of her books - an e-book with 115 pages!!! - The book alone is worth the price of the class - AND you get one-on-one lessons for each part of the process - you can't beat that!!! - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



8 comments:

Karen M said...

I love my Craftsy classes. You are tempting me with this one. As I have blogged many times, I hate paper piecing. I may have to give this one a try.

Gene Black said...

Ooh.. I like your tweaked version better! I have to take some time to do some quilting on a quilt so I won't be piecing for a bit. And I have a couple of medical appointments that will interfere and take part of my time.

Katie M. said...

I love paper piecing but hated it until I watched a Carol Doak demonstration. Even using 'her' method, it takes more time than I seem to have... I may have to see if this is a 'quicker' way of doing it... I love that pinwheel BTW...

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Karen - this method is terrific for "assembly-line" blocks - lots of the same thing. It may or may not work on "single" blocks - but I can't really say because I haven't tried that yet. I haven't finished the class - too busy having FUN with this pattern - but she has a lesson on the "New York Beauty" block - that I really want to try. Put it on your "Wish List" and wait for a sale - I don't think you will be disappointed - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Gene - I wanted my star points to be a bit bigger thinking that they might be easier to match. I finished sewing and trimming last night - so will be pulling the paper off and playing with layouts later this afternoon - then we'll see what it looks like - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Katie - Peggy's method IS quicker - hence the name "QUICK-Strip Paper Piecing" - LOL. Seriously, it takes some time to sew ANY block - and Foundation Paper Piecing makes a ton of scraps - but she even has a use for the leftovers in the last lesson. Like I told Karen - put it on your "Wish List" and wait for a sale - I don't think you will be disappointed - ;))

Meira Shana said...

Paper Doll ... that song would have been perfect for the movie "Lars and the Real Girl."

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for the comment, Meira - you come up as a "no-reply" commenter - so I will respond to your comment here if you don't mind - ;))

I don't remember the song "Paper Doll" and never saw the movie "Lars and the Real Girl" - so I'll take your word for it - and then Google them both - LOL - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...