Friday, May 27, 2016

Twelve years ago today -


One of my bloggy buddies - Martha - is/was working on her preparations to teach
a smoking cessation program and mentioned it on her blog the other day -
so I left a comment on her post - HERE -
I quit, too - about 12 years ago - woke up one morning and wondered how long I could go without a cigarette. I told myself that I could have one anytime I wanted but if I did - I would have to start counting over. I got buckets of "Red Vines" at Costco and kept a full - open pack of cigarettes in my purse for over a year. After one day - one week - two weeks - one month - two months - three months - etc. I wanted to NOT start counting over more than I wanted a cigarette. I was a pack a day girl.
===
NOTE - The following post was originally written and posted on one of my first blogs on 5/27/11 - and titled "Seven Years Ago Today". When I discontinued that blog - I transferred all of the content to my other blog "Quilter BOB".

The 5/27/11 post can be found - HERE -

It goes like this - ;))
===

Seven (now Twelve) years ago today –

BOB quit smoking.

It was totally unplanned.

This Is How I Did It.

I woke up one morning and thought –

I wonder how long I can go without a cigarette?

Mind you – I smoked almost a pack a day – for almost 40 years.

One or two before I left the house in the morning.

Another one on the drive to work.

Another one around 10:00AM.

Another two or three at lunch.

Another one around 3:00PM.

Another one on the drive home from work.

The rest in the evening while I watched TV.

BOB enjoyed smoking - every single one of them.

BOB did NOT enjoy the ANTI-smokers and their goody-goody, holier-than-thou attitudes.

Especially the total strangers who believed that it was their duty to tell me to quit.

Don't tell me to quit smoking - and I won't tell you to lose weight!!

But - one day I just woke up and wondered –

How long can I go without a cigarette?

I told myself two things -
1. I can have a cigarette ANY TIME I want.

2. But – if I have one - I have to start over counting.
I carried a brand–new – full – open pack of cigarettes in my purse for over a year.

First I made it through one hour -

Then two hours -

Then a whole day –

Then a week –

Then a month –

Then two months –

Then a year –

Then two years –

It has been seven (now twelve) years today –

I can have a cigarette ANY TIME I want.

But – if I have one - I have to start over counting.



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Gene Black said...

Congrats on your twelve years. It would seem a shame to have to start back at one minute counting again.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Gene - those are my thoughts exactly - ;))

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Congratulations. I've been smoke free for 15.5 years - I started quilting when I quit smoking. Thought it would be cheaper. Ha ha!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Barbara - and Congratulations to you, too!! - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...