Sunday, February 17, 2019

Quilt-Along - LHQSQ 2.0 - Part 2


Left-Handed Quilter Sampler Quilt - Version 2.0 -
For a complete listing of Quilt-Along posts see the page/tab at the top - ;))

Cutting the Cornerstones and Sashing Strips -

===

Since all of the Cornerstones will eventually be sewn to Sashing Strips -
I made some "Combo" strips instead of cutting them all separately and then sewing them to the Sashing Strips later - but feel free to cut/sew them the way that works best for you - ;))

==========

Cornerstone - Cutting -
Same fabric/color as Border Blocks - Part 1 -


Smaller Version - You will need 60
Larger Version - You will need 84

===

Combo Strip Method -
From the scraps left from cutting the Side Triangles - QST in Part 1 -
Cut strips 1-1/2" wide by whatever length is available -

Cut them on the cross-wise grain -

Set them aside to make the "Combo" strips in a minute - ;))


==========

Sashing Strips - are cut from a Second fabric/color -

Smaller Version - You will need 100 total
10 - Sash with cornerstone on both ends -
40 - Sash with cornerstone on one end -
50 - Plain sash -

Larger Version - You will need 144 total
12 - Sash with cornerstone on both ends -
60 - Sash with cornerstone on one end -
72 - Plain sash -

NOTE - This photo is LEFT-Handed - I cut on the LEFT side of the ruler - ;))


===

Plain Sashes -

Cut strips @ 6-1/2" x WOF -
Trim the selvage ends and sub-cut the strip at 1-1/2" x 6-1/2" -
I was able to get 28 from a strip (42" usable fabric) -


===

Combo Strips - Sash with Cornerstone on one end -

Cut strips @ 6-1/2" x WOF -
Trim the selvage ends


Match each Sashing Strip to Cornerstone Strips -



Stitch them together - butting one Cornerstone Strip right up against the last one-


You may have some extend off the end - that's OK -


Cut the strips at the "gaps" -
Where the Cornerstone Strips are next to each other -


I found that I could use my LEFT-EZE™ Rule to make the cut - I lined up the lines on the ruler with lines on the cutting mat - I just needed a straight edge - and I paid good money for those lines on the mat - might as well use them - ;))



Take these to the ironing board -


Press them open -
With the Sashing Strip on top - press up - toward the Sashing Strip -


Pressed -


Subcut the Combo Strips @ 1-1/2" - I can cut 8 with my Short Cut Ruler -


I didn't realize until I had finished that I could have done the same thing with a Cornerstone Strip on both sides of a Plain Sashing Strip. I did it the hard way - as I needed them I took a Combo and "un-sewed" a Cornerstone from one and sewed it to other end of another Combo - like this -

Take 2 Combos -
Unsew the Cornerstone from one and sew it to the end of the other one -
Yield - 1 Plain - 1 Special




Press to the Sashing Strip -


Then I put them in piles in a cookie sheet for later - ;))




Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



1 comment:

Gene Black said...

My usual method is to cut them as I need them... But it takes a little more time to do that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...