Saturday, November 10, 2012

LHQ - REVIEW - BROTHER SQ9050 -


LEFT-HANDED QUILTING - Review - Brother SQ9050

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

Today I want to show you my new sewing machine -


Lots of features -

And VERY reasonably priced -

My kind of sewing machine!! - ;))

But first -

Disclaimer -
I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer or supplier of this product - to my knowledge.
I did not get this product for FREE in exchange for a review - aka barter. I paid for it.
I have no intention of slandering or libeling anyone or any product.
I am simply stating my opinions - I could be wrong - you may disagree.
My opinions are based on my experience with this product - your results may vary.
I think that about covers it - if I missed something - let me know.
I am not a lawyer - and I am just trying to cover my a$$. ;))
===

I have THREE sewing machines already and didn’t really NEED a new one -
But I was looking for another basic sewing machine for piecing and found this -


It’s called the -

Brother SQ9050 - Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine -

Made by Brother - here -
Made in China


Description -

It is described as a "Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine" -
And Includes a Built-In Sewing Font for Basic Monogramming -

I think that it's technically an "Electronic" machine -
If you define a "Computerized" machine as one with USB computer capability -
This machine has computerized parts - but no USB computer connection/port -

The USA version has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other) for the wall outlet -
I'm not sure if other versions are available for other countries -
You might need to contact the company about that - ;))

Where you can get it - 

I picked mine up at Walmart for $200 - here - ;))

If the store doesn’t have one in stock - have them order it for you -
I wouldn’t recommend ordering it online - I’ve had trouble with their site - ;))


What you get -

Some Quick Start Guides - an Instructional DVD - and a 77 page Operation Manual -


100 Built-in Stitches -


An Alphabet Font -


On a little Flip Chart -


There’s a set of buttons to tell the machine which set of stitches you want to use -


And then there’s the Start/stop button -
The Reverse button -
The Needle Up/Down button -
The Speed Control -


And a whole BUNCH of other stuff - ;))

What I LIKE about this sewing machine -

It came with a LOT of “extras” that other sewing machines do NOT include -

An extension table - 14" total -
Eight inches to the LEFT of the needle -


AND our favorite QUILTING goodies -

Walking foot -
FMQ spring foot -
1/4” foot -
Quilting guide -


It has THREE different ways to sew a 1/4” seam -

It has an ALPHABET font for monogramming - or quilt labels - ;))


LED light on needle area -
Button for needle up/down - raise or lower the needle -
Stop/start feature - you can sew without the foot controller -
Needle threader -
Stipple stitch - honest! - I’ll show you in a minute - ;))

What I DON’T like about this sewing machine -

The only thing that I DON’T like so far is that the default stitch is #00 -
And that is the LEFT needle position -
After I turn on the machine -
I have to change the stitch # to #01 for the CENTER needle position -
It’s not hard - it’s just annoying - ;))
===
EDIT UPDATE - 12/20/15 -
I found - on page 11 of the Operation Manual -
"Changing the initial needle position" instructions which state -
(1) Turn off the sewing machine
(2) Hold down the "+" side of the (graphic) (stitch selection key) on the left and turn on the sewing machine.
The initial needle position changes to the center needle position.
NOTE TO SELF -
Review the manual occasionally - you may have missed something - ;))

===

A couple of things that are not "bad" -
Just "different" than my Husqvarna/Viking Lily 555 - are -

It has a Vertical spool holder -
My Lily 555 has a Horizontal spool holder -
But the top thread guide may make it easier to use my Cone Thread Holder -


The presser foot lever is on the inside RIGHT side - not the back -
But I use my RIGHT hand to reach through to raise the presser foot anyway -
So that is a minor adjustment for me -
EDIT UPDATE - 12/23/12 -
CAUTION!! Do not accidentally hit the foot pedal-
When you are trying to raise the presser foot lever -
Your thumb may get caught between the needle bar thread guide -
And the presser foot lever - ask me how I know - ;))


The thread cutter is on LEFT side - not the back -
So I have to get used to pulling the fabric FORWARD -
And then cutting the thread off the LEFT side -

The bobbins are a different type - of course -
They are a clear plastic - not metal - or green plastic -
So that makes three kinds of bobbins in my collection now - ;))

How I use it to Sew a 1/4” Seam -

There are three ways to sew a 1/4” seam on this machine -

#1 - 1/4” foot -
Her 1/4” inch foot works really well -
Straight stitch - single hole foot -
Center needle position -


My HST came out at 2-1/2” like it was supposed to -


And my two little pieces cut 1-1/2” x 2-1/2” -
Came out at 2-1/2” square - YAY!! -


#2 - Stitch #43 - RIGHT side -
Zigzag foot "J" -
I lined up my little guide with the Seam Guide ruler -
I stitched two strips - 1-1/2” wide -


And it came out at 2-1/2” - Right on!! -


#3 - Stitch #44 - LEFT side -
Zigzag foot "J" -
I did the same thing using the other stitch -
I lined up my little guide with the Seam Guide ruler on the LEFT side -
I stitched two strips - 1-1/2” wide -


It was a bit weird lining up the fabric on the LEFT -


But it came out at 2-1/2” - Right on!! -


How I use it to sew some Sample Stitches -

Alphabet font sample -
I drew lines on some blue fabric about 1/2” apart -
And used a coffee filter as a stabilizer -
The top three lines are the three fonts on my Husqvarna/Viking Lily 555 -
The bottom line is the Brother SQ9050 -


With the Lily - I simply push the button with the letter I want/need -
With the SQ9050 - I have to push two stitch selection keys to enter the number of the stitch -
So it’s a bit more time consuming -
But I actually like the looks of the SQ9050 letters better -


“Stipple stitch” - Stitch #49 -
The one in the middle - I was fiddling with the stitch width and length -
But the ones on the left and on the right are at the default settings -


“Lazy Daisy stitch” - Stitch #27 -


“Loopy” decorative stitch - Stitch #75 -


Quilting sample -

I did a little FMQ - Leah Day style -
With my “broken” FMQ spring foot and the feed dogs UP - here -


Not bad - but I need more PRACTICE!! - ;))



Summary -

I have only had this machine for a very short time -
And I have just scratched the surface in terms of what she can do -
And I have some more testing/playing to do yet -

And some reviews have said that she develops tension problems about six months down the road - so we’ll have to wait and see about that -

But -

From what I have seen/done so far -

What it can do -

And - especially - for the PRICE -

I think that it’s quite a cool little sewing machine!! - ;))


Would I recommend this sewing machine?

YES

EDIT UPDATE - 8/29/13 -
As I told Miau in the comments below -
YES - she still does a good job!! - ;)) I use her mostly to do my piecing - and use Method #2 described above - Stitch #43 with the zig-zag presser foot "J" - and my stitch guide. Her tension messed up on me ONCE - I simply turned her OFF for a second - then turned her back on - sort of like re-booting your computer. When I turned her back on - all of the tension settings had re-set to the defaults - and she was fine - ;)) Would I still recommend this machine? - YES!! - ;))

EDIT UPDATE - 11/6/13 -
Today I was having some tension issues - loops were showing on the back of the fabric. I turned her off - re-threaded both the top thread and the bobbin - turned her back on - and she was back to normal - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



10 comments:

Linda said...

So it will make quilt labels huh? hahaha I caught it!!
Seriously, that really is a nice machine. I loved my Brother.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Yeah - that part was for you - ;))

TDJ said...

My hubby bought me this same model six months or so ago. I have been very pleased. It makes a very nice even strait stitch. He bought it for my back-up machine, so I could teach my kiddos and not have them on my expensive Pfaff. It has been great having a second machine, and it is so light. I am not use to light machine so sometimes when I get going it likes to march on my table.....LOL. I haven't tried the FMQ yet. Over all very pleased, minor dislikes are, I need a screw driver to change anything but just a presser foot, i.e. put on the walking foot. The walking foot certainly increases the noise level, of this quiet machine. In my Pfaff tiptronic 2040 everything is pretty much a finger screw, no tools needed. PLUS unlike my Pfaff it doesn't need oiling. I give my Pfaff a drop of oil nearly everytime I change the bobbin just to keep her happy.
... another one of us in our right minds .....

.... Okay back to sewing by the seat of my pants .....

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Tracy - I remember that you got a new machine not long ago to teach the kids how to sew - but I didn't realize that it was the SAME one until just now! I'm so glad you like yours - and I have noticed that mine "marches" a little, too. Guess great minds - in their right minds - think alike - ;))

Linda C said...

Suzie Q sounds like she is going to work out, just fine. I think mine feels neglected this week. (Binding and knitting going on)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Maybe if you just pat her as you go by? - ;))

Miau said...

Hi!

Does it still a good job? I would like to buy me this machine, too. But I'm not sure which one exactly...
Thank you

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Hi there, Miau - you show as a "no-reply commenter" so I will answer your question here if you don't mind - ;))

YES - she still does a good job!! - ;))

I use her mostly to do my piecing - and use Method #2 described above - Stitch #43 with the zig-zag presser foot "J" - and my stitch guide.

Her tension messed up on me ONCE - I simply turned her OFF for a second - then turned her back on - sort of like re-booting your computer. When I turned her back on - all of the tension settings had re-set to the defaults - and she was fine - ;))

Would I still recommend this machine? - YES!! - ;))

andrée.lise said...

Nice review! I have the same machine and like it quite a bit. Your review actually made me realize that I HAD all these quilting feet that I thought I never got. lol OOPS

Just a questions... do you know if you can adjust the presser foot pressure for use with a walking foot?

Thanks!
Andree

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Andree - you come up as a no-reply commenter so I will answer your question here if you don't mind.

No - The manual doesn't address "adjusting the presser foot pressure" so I don't think that you can - I think that is "automatically" adjusted no matter which "foot" you use - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...