Saturday, December 26, 2015

Behind the seams -


Hope everyone had a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!! - ;))

I spent some time playing with this -

A table runner - 3 x 2 -



And this -

A table topper - 6 x 6 - ;))


I thought that I had 48 blocks -

And could make a top 6 x 8 -

But I miscounted and only had 42 -

So I had to "make do" - ;))

The table topper is coming together nicely -

The two columns on the right are sewn in sets of two -

And the left column is already in sets of four - ;))


So far - I haven't had to match seams for more than two "grid" strips per set - ;))


The center set will have four "grid" strips to match -

And then the two long seams between the columns -

But that's no big deal - ;))

As most of you know already -

I MUCH prefer to sew blocks into TWOSIES -

Then FOURSIES -

Etc. -

Than to sew long ROWS of blocks -

And have to match ALL of the seams -

On ALL of the blocks -

EVERY single time - ;))

AND my TWOSIES/FOURSIES system came in VERY handy -

When I was putting together the runner -

Which will help explain the title of this post - ;))

So here's a bit of the "Behind the seams" -

For your entertainment - ;))

===

IF I had sewn these blocks into ROWS -
And then tried to sew the rows together -


The two blocks on the left would have matched -


And the two blocks on the right would have matched -


But those two guys in the middle -

Well - they're not even close - ;))


The top one will match the one on the left -


And the bottom one will match the one on the right -


But they sure won't match each other - ;))


They're off by THIS much on each side - ;))


But wait!! -

The right side of the top block is a STRAIGHT piece -

With NO SEAMS TO MATCH on the block next to it -

And the left side of the bottom block is a STRAIGHT piece, too - ;))


SOOOOO -

I matched the seams on the two middle blocks -

To each other - top and bottom -


And trimmed the sides -


And used them like that - ;))


I don't think that anyone will notice -

That the blocks in the middle -

Are a bit narrower than the others -

But I DO think that they might notice -

If the seams didn't match -

And I kinds like that now they do - ;))


FUDGING to the rescue - haha!! - ;))

And I can always trim down the outer blocks -

If it bothers me later - ;))

Oh - and in case anyone is wondering why they didn't match -

They were originally intended for another pattern -

And I changed my mind -

And had to "make do" - ;))


That and the fact that my 1/4" seam allowance decided to take a vacation -

So one end strip is 1/8" wider than the other - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

Gene Black said...

Sometimes, seeing what you can "make it do" is the best part.

Katie M. said...

"necessity is the mother of invention" - works well for us quilters... not to mention we reserve the right to change our minds - not to mention the 'rules'. "Rules were meant to be broken" :-)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I totally agree!! - It was a lot of fun making it up as I went along - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I totally agree with you, too!! - Maybe that's what makes quilting so much fun - ;))

Julie Fukuda said...

Creative solutions .... I remember my twin brother pounding a puzzle piece into place saying, "I'll MAKE it fit, I'll MAKE it fit"!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Yup - I MADE it fit - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...