Thursday, January 27, 2011

LHQ - Scrap Card

LEFT-HANDED QUILTING - Scrap Card

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.  If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions. (I love saying that!!)
============

In my post - LHQ - Scrapbook - Overview - I briefly mentioned -   

SCRAP CARD - I take a 3x5 index card and flip it over to the blank side.  I cut a scrap of each fabric I used in the quilt - about 1" wide and just over 3" long.   I line them all up on the card and stitch them to the card about 1/2" from the top - the stitching winds up being on the red line on the back of the card.  After it's stitched - I flip the card over and trim the fabric just past the edge of the card.  Now I have a sample of the actual fabrics I used - to compare to the photos.  I save the rest of the scraps for the "heart" and memory quilt.
========

I take a 3x5 index card and flip it over to the blank side.

I cut a scrap of each fabric I used in the quilt - about 1" wide and just over 3" long.

Because I am making 5 B/W/R quilts - in addition to the pillowcases - I decided to make all of the scrap cards and cut all of the strips at the same time.  Here are the fabric strips that appear in all five quilts plus the extra floral that will appear only my granddaughter's quilt.


I line them all up on the card and stitch them to the card about 1/2" from the top - the stitching winds up being on the red line on the back of the card.  (The fabric strips in the photo below are the ones used in the pillowcases.)


Layer the fabrics on the card from the bottom up.


It's easier to sew if the layers go from top to bottom - no edges to snag.


After it's stitched - I flip the card over


and trim the fabric just past the edge of the card.


Here we are - all of the cards done for the 5 B/W/R quilts and the Pillowcase(s) scrapbook page.


Now I have a sample of the actual fabrics I used - to compare to the photos.

I save the rest of the scraps for the "heart" and memory quilt.

And - I get to update my UFO list - YAY!!



Talk to you later - gotta go -

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...