Wednesday, December 7, 2011

LHQ - Squaring Up a Panel Print

LEFT-HANDED QUILTING - Squaring Up a Panel Print

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

I was looking though some old photos –

And found some that I had wanted to post –

But couldn’t – at the time –

One set was of the Wolf Panel

That center square/panel was SO tweaked!!

I thought I would share with you –

How I handled its “tweakiness” –

First – I prewashed it –
To remove the sizing and whatever else was in the fabric -

Second – I pressed it –
Really well –
If it was going to stretch –
I wanted it stretched BEFORE I sewed with it -

Even after all of that -

Do you see how crooked the bottom of the print is?
Trust me - it wasn’t much better at the top -



SO – the question was –

How do you square up a panel print –
That doesn’t want to be square?

This Is How I Did It –

I cut a piece of freezer paper -

The same size as the “cut” square that I needed –



And I centered the freezer paper the best I could –
Over the Wolf’s face –

And then pressed the freezer paper to the panel print –

NOTE –
PLEASE BE SURE to press the freezer paper to the panel print –
ON YOUR IRONING SURFACE –
NOT on your cutting mat - ;))

Trim around the freezer paper -



Peel off the freezer paper -



See –

All nice and square -

NOTE -
I was lucky that the size I needed did NOT include the borders on the panel -
If it had - I would have had to trim them off -
and adjust the next border accordingly.

Add the new side borders first -


Then the top and bottom -


Ta Dah!!


Talk to you later – gotta go – gotta sew -

1 comment:

Linda said...

Good tut. I'll have to remember this tip. I've dealt with a couple of panels before and one I finally just trashed it was so bad. I swore I'd never buy another one. But then.... I'm very forgetful so I go and do it again!! LOL I have one more stuck away. Sheesh!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...