Wednesday, February 15, 2017

3 Embroidery Stitches for LEFT-Handed Quilters


I have been a member of the American Quilter's Society since forever -

And when I recently received my AQS - American Quilter's Society - On Point Newsletter - in my email "inbox" -

And saw - among the articles - this one -
3 Embroidery Stitches Every Quilter Should Know
In celebration of National Embroidery Month, we bring you three essential stitches that are great to show off line elements, highlight designs, and make the ordinary extraordinary!
Learn more
I followed the link to HERE -

Read the article -

Noticed that the diagrams were RIGHT-Handed -

And left a comment -

==

A Left-Handed Quilter
February 15, 2017 at 2:33 am

May I ask politely that you also show diagrams for those of use who are LEFT-Handed? These ARE “three line stitches every quilter should have in their arsenal to use when a little magic is needed” – and not all quilters are right-handed. Thank you.

==

I didn't hear back from the author of the article -

But there were two other comments left after mine -

By other Left-Handed quilters -

I didn't respond to their comments on the AQS site -

I thought it would be better to address them here on my blog -

So -

To Maureen -

I'm tired of seeing everything "backwards" - and think that there are more LEFT-Handed quilters than people believe. I'm not that frustrated - I've been doing it a long time - and I have pretty much figured out what works or me. I feel for the "newbies" who are bombarded with stuff - and it's all RIGHT-Handed. I think that they should have some LEFT-Handed resources available to them - to the same extent that RIGHT-Handed quilters do. I am trying to do my part - by raising awareness and pointing out the LEFT-Handed discrepancies when I can. I have even gone so far as to design a LEFT-Handed ruler - that will be coming out soon. But I need some HELP - I know enough to know that I can't do it alone.

And to Cathy -

I'm also tired of having to turn stuff "upside down". I gave up trying to do needlepoint because I got tired of working it "upside down". It would be nice to see instructions with diagrams "right side up" for LEFT-Handed quilters. That's why my instructions and demos and tutorials are written in LEFT-EZE™ - and I say at the very beginning - "If you're Right-Handed - just reverse the directions." - ;))

==
2/16/17 EDIT UPDATE -
A Left-Handed Quilter
February 16, 2017 at 3:17 pm


Thanks everyone - I did a post last night regarding this issue and addressed the comments left by both Maureen and Cathy - and will edit it to include my response to Jan - below -
https://alefthandedquilter.blogspot.com/2017/02/3-embroidery-stitches-for-left-handed.html

Jan - I have a book by Judith Baker Monsanto - "Elegant Stitches" - published in 1995 - and out of 176 pages - there are exactly 6 (six) pages in the section called - "Stitches For Left-Handers". The first page is a lovely Chapter Title/photo page - and the next 5 (five) pages have 9 stitches shown for Left-Handers. Maybe the book you're talking about has more stitches for Left-Handers - but I thought that 9 (nine) was a very small number when compared to the number of stitches shown for Right-Handers - but then again - it's probably just me - ;))

Sylvia
February 16, 2017 at 3:32 pm


Hey, Left-handed quilters! Our designer, Lauren, added some diagrams for you, too. Scroll to the bottom 3 images. Hope these help you out. Let us know. ~ Sylvia Thomas, AQS Social Media Manager

A Left-Handed Quilter
February 16, 2017 at 3:43 pm


THANKS, Sylvia – I/we REALLY appreciate the additional diagrams! Thank Lauren for me/us – and ask her to do me/us a favor. She provided diagrams “in reverse” – but some of us (me included) need them turned “upside-down”. If you could provide both ways – then we can figure out what works for us. Again – THANK YOU!! – ;))

==

Then - I couldn't remember how I did mine -

Did I reverse them? -

Or did I turn them upside down? -

But I remembered that I had done a post on Embroidery Stitches
Several years ago - HERE -

June 15, 2011 - LHQ - Embroidery - Basics -

So I went to look to see what I did - and how I did it - ;))

Question -

If you are LEFT-Handed -

What do YOU do? -

Do you take the original stitches -




And reverse them? -




Or do you turn them upside down? -




And am I the only one who would like to see more LEFT-Handed stuff out there?

Not ALL quilters are Right-Handed -

It would be nice if the teachers/magazines/publishers and clubs would help us out -

And if the American Quilter's Society won't do it -

Maybe we just have to do it ourselves - ;))

And I tried - for three years in a row -

To get us together on International Left-Handers Day - August 13 - HERE -

But I had little to no response -

So I basically gave up -

Maybe it's time to revive that -

Just to see how many of us are really out there - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Gene Black said...

Interesting. I do my stem stitch more like a left handed person. I told you I am weird about "handedness"

Katie M. said...

I am not left handed but you have made me more aware of how right handed everything is. I had someone tell me they couldn't knit because they were left handed and everyone they knew was right handed so no one to teach them. So I got to thinking about that... maybe if I knitted with a mirror in my lap and they looked at the mirror, maybe it would work... We didn't try it, though, as she really had decided it was too frustrating. I wonder how many left handed people have lost the joy of certain crafts simply because our world is too right handed?????

Katie Z. said...

Lefties, unite!

I don't knit because the whole reverse/whatevering of patterns is killer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...