Thursday, February 17, 2011

LHQ - International Left-Handed Quilters Anonymous

INTERNATIONAL LEFT-HANDED QUILTERS ANONYMOUS

==========

I once mentioned that I thought that we needed to start our very own "International Left-Handed Quilters Association".  (ILHQA)
 

I've changed my mind - I think we need to call it -

INTERNATIONAL LEFT-HANDED QUILTERS ANONYMOUS.

Then we could have a meeting online - and I could say -

Hello, my name is Kitty - and I'm a Left-Handed Quilter.

And then you could say -

Hello, Kitty!

=========

Sorry - I'm in a goofy mood today - and I've always wanted to say that - but it's kinda hard to work into a conversation!

And - I'm curious - just how many left-handed quilters are out there in blogland?  Hundreds?  Thousands?  Millions?  (No, Kitty - it's just you and your six followers!)

So - leave me a comment and answer two questions for me - if you would, please -

1.  Are you a lefty?
2.  What gives you the most trouble in the right-handed world of quilting?

Thanks -


Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -


 

5 comments:

Rose said...

Hi Kitty,
I could really relate to your previous blog about losing your 1/4inch. Happens to me too often! I'm as left-handed as you can get and I have the most trouble with my rotary cutting skills. I do everything "bass akwards".

Julie Fukuda said...

Ah, you are so funny! It sounds like an intro to AA but I can say, we leftys are all in our right minds! What's more, back in my day it was all punishable by beating. Therefore, those who held on were either more stubborn or more unable to change. I am very strongly BOTH!
I would say the very worst thing is left-handed scissors made by right-handers that reverse the blades so that you are pushing them apart when you try to cut. Give me a pair of righty scissors with a neutral grip any day.
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.:>)

Toni said...

I'm a lefty! I would love to join your ILHQA! I've noticed teachers don't teach both right and left ways. Well, I did found one instructor and I was highly impress - Mimi Dietrich! Now most righties expect a left handed instructor to teach right handed though, funny huh? I can teach both ways, but want a class of just lefties once! :)

Vivian said...

Hello Kitty! (Yes, that WAS fun to say!) I'm a lefty but don't have any problems in a right handed quilt world because surprisingly (and only in quilting), I'm completely ambidextrous when it comes to quilting! I can rotary cut both right and left handed which is convenient --- I never have to "turn" the fabric, just switch hands! The best advice I ever saw was from Alex Anderson (a fellow lefty) who said that when she teaches, she tells righties to stand facing her and then do exactly what she does -- the "mirror image" positioning takes care of the differences in working with opposite hands.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Vivian - I'm glad that works for you. It doesn't work for me - I do that and mentally "reverse" whatever is being done - and I'm right back where I started - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...