Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Two Question Tuesday - 11/15/11

Two Question Tuesday – 11/15/11

Here's the deal - I really liked Mama M.'s Five Question Friday - but that's just too many questions for me.  So I'm going to do my version - and without the linky thingy.

I'll ask two questions and then give you my answers. If you want to play - you can give me your answers in the comment section. If you have a blog and would rather answer them there - just leave a link to your blog instead. I don't know how to do the "Linky" thing like Mama M. yet - and to be honest - I would rather sew than find out so I'll do it this way until I figure it out.
==========

Two questions for you this Tuesday -
Courtesy of Karen M. - who asked me these questions two weeks ago - here you go -


1.  What is your best sewing tip (left or right handed)?
2.  What is your best storage tip for your sewing space?

==========

1.  What is your best sewing tip (left or right handed)?

I think my BEST sewing tip is –

Sew to your thumb.

Let me explain.

When you are hand sewing – you hold your needle in one hand and your fabric in the other. Your thumb is holding down the part you want to sew, right? If you just concentrate on sewing the two or three stitches it takes to get to wherever your thumb is - you can forget the rest of the seam for the moment.

When you are machine sewing – your left hand is spread out to hold the fabric down as it is fed through the machine. Do the same thing - concentrate on sewing the stitches it takes to get to wherever your thumb is. When you get to your thumb – stop – reposition your hand and continue.

You don’t have to worry about the whole length of the seam at one time.

Just concentrate on getting your ¼” seam allowance and seam straight a couple of inches at a time.

You will get “there” eventually.

So - Sew to your thumb. ;))


2.  What is your best storage tip for your sewing space?

I think my BEST storage tip would be –

Use a coffee mug on your desktop to store your camera cord –

It’s right there - real handy and all nice and neat – and -
You don't have to hunt all over for it when you want to download photos to your blog - ;))


I have more tips on my Left-Handed Quilting Page –

Check out "My Sewing Room" – and –

"Fabric Stash and Scrap Management / LHQ - Fabric Stash Room"

You might find something you like. ;))


==========

OK - your turn.


Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

1 - sewing tip - keep everything you're going to need for project together and within reach. When piecing blocks, I make one and tack it on a bulletin board that's over my desk. I keep all the fabrics and threads for that particular quilts together in a zipper bag. Everything stays together until I'm done. I do this with garment sewing too. fabric, threads, zippers, buttons - whatever it takes - all in a zipper bag.
2 - storage solution - HA! You ever see my sewing room? But something I do like - I made an organizer for a mug - lots of little pockets. It holds snips, tweezers, orange wood stick, needles, thread - anyway, all those little items that you tend to like to have at hand but get lost in a drawer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...