Saturday, January 2, 2021

Sorting and Cutting and Sewing -

 
 
And enjoying the first day of this brand NEW YEAR - ;))
 
I started with the PINK/ORANGE Squirrel
 
From way back when - HERE
 
And chose the "centers" for the blocks - 
 
I have "parts" for 30 blocks - so that will make a 5 x 6 layout - 
 
And come out to about 62-1/2" x 75" - 
 
 
 
Then I dug out the Sakura Churn Dash -
 
Last seen - HERE

 
And sorted the second flat-pack into pairs for another bunch of blocks - 
 
I got 60 blocks out of the first flat-pack - so expect the same with this one -
 
I can cut two blocks at a time with my LEFT-EZE Rule™ -
 
And the rest from the left-overs for a little variety - 

 
Then I got the next two jelly rolls for another Upstairs/Downstairs
 
This time it's Moda's Blushing Peonies - Robin Pickens

 
Each roll is 40 strips - 
 
So it's easier to sort than the 20 strip rolls - 
 
And has more variety in the fabrics - 
 
The colors in this one are REALLY pretty - LOL - ;))

 
First I separated them in "fours" to see if I liked the variety - 
 
And I did - 

 
Then I separated them into eight piles of 5 strips - 


 
When I was satisfied with the combinations - 
 
And had them going from dark/black/gray - to green - to coral - to white - 

 
I opened the second roll and made matching "sets" - 
 
So that I would have two identical sets of strips - 
 
Each "set" will make 6 matching blocks - 

 
Folded up each "pile" and stacked the "sets" on the cookie sheet - 
 
Eight "sets" of six matching blocks for 48 blocks total - 

 
Then I went back to the Sakura Churn Dash cookie sheet -
 
And pulled two strips to cut two blocks - 
 
Folded them over so that I had four layers -
 
Trimmed the selvage - 
 
Cut the first of four HST - 

 
 
Then the second HST - 

 
Sometimes my "straight cut" ones are a smidge too big - 
Because I think I overcompensate so that I don't "come up short" - LOL - 
 
So I trim them now - 
 
It's easier than trimming the HST later - at least it is for me - 

 
Got all four of them cut - 
 
Which will give me 8 HST because it's four layers deep -
 
 
Then cut 4 rectangles for the "bars" at 1-1/2" - 
 
Because 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" is the same as 2-1/2" x 1-1/2" - LOL -

 
These four will give me 8 "bars" - again - because it's four layers - 

 
Then I cut a square at 2-1/2" for the "centers" -
 
This will give me four - so I'll have two "extra" for mix and match later - 

 
All cut - and I still have a good sized chunk left over - 
 
The leftovers will be mixed up at the end to make the remaining blocks needed - 

 
Then I sewed two of each block - 
 
The Sakura Churn Dash blocks are 6-1/2" - and will finish at 6" - 
 
The PINK/ORANGE Squirrel Blocks are 13" - and will finish at 12-1/2" 






This post is scheduled for 12:30AM in the morning -
 
So - after dinner - 

I may sew some of the first strata - 
 
For my Upstairs/Downstairs - Blushing Peonies

If I do - 

I'll post the photos tomorrow - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 


6 comments:

Sue said...

Gotta love squirrel projects. I like to (randomly, because squirrels lol) rotate around projects to keep things fun. The new jelly roll is just gorgeous!

Barbara said...

I love that blue batik fabric!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think I am starting to get it. The piles and sets, I mean. I just have to get some jelly rolls. Thanks for the step by step photos.

Gene Black said...

You are whizzing right along. I am being "contemplative" and not "doing" a lot.

I can see mixing the 6 and 12 inch blocks into a quilt. When you have all the blocks sewn you should try a layout using both of them.

Katie said...

Holy cow! You're off to a running start for 2021 and I love the new fabrics. I did a lot of sewing yesterday, too, and have plans for more today, but with the hubby home with me, awake (remember he works third shift, but is off a few days), my schedule shifts often and unexpectedly! But here's to a productive year...in one way or another!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Oooh, I love the pink/orange!! The Robin Pickins is going to be interesting too. I have her dandelion line in yardage.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...