Monday, September 9, 2013

Design Wall Monday - 9/9/13

DESIGN WALL MONDAY - 9/9/13
Check out all of us who link up with Judy L. at Patchwork Times on Mondays.
We have some awesome stuff on our walls!
Well, THEY do - ME - not so much sometimes - ;))
===


For the longest time now -

I have wanted to make a Stack & Whack - Kaliedoscope Quilt -
Bethany Reynolds version - HERE -

With this fabric - ;))


When I made Jeopardy II - in 1995 -
I used it as the backing - HERE -


My cutting accuracy is not that great any more -

So when I saw the 4-Patch Posie pattern by H.D. Designs - HERE -

I figured that it was more my speed - ;))

I could get the kaleidoscope effect -

Without having to cut 15-degree wedges - ;))

I checked the internet and found some useful information -
On some forum pages -
HERE -
HERE - and HERE -

Some tutorials on Connecting Threads website -
HERE and HERE -

And a PDF file that I printed out for reference - HERE -

And then -

Before I could even write up my post -

And upload the photos -

My bloggy buddy - LindaJ mentioned the 4-Patch Stacked Posie -
In her post - HERE

With a link to another version - HERE -

I just about choked -

And told her so - ;))

I left her a comment -
...And I just about choked when I got to the part about the 4-Patch Stacked Posie pattern - I have some patches cut out for one of my own - I just haven't posted it yet - ;))
And then had to tell her -
For my 4-Patch Stacked Posie I used my FAVORITE blue/yellow/white/green fabric. I got tons of it way back when - must have bought the whole bolt because I used it for the back of one of my quilts - part of it in a "placemat" quilt - and still had over 6 yards left in one section - and another flat fold piece with who knows how much in it. I LOVE it - it has such gorgeous colors and have always thought that it would make a great kaleidoscope quilt. I'm not accurate enough to mess with the 60 degree pieces - so a 4-patch is more my speed. What I have so far is terrific - I am LOVING the blocks!!!!!! - I attached a preview - ;))
So - since GREAT minds think alike -

Here’s what I have so far - ;))

===

My fabric has a 24” repeat -



So I cut 4 repeats - WOF


Trimmed the selvages -
Layered the four repeats -
Matching them the best I could -

Cut my strips at 3-1/2” -
To finish at 3” -
A 4-patch (2 x 2) should finish at 6” - ;))

I was able to get 11 strips at 3-1/2 x 24 -
And 6 squares cut 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 per strip -
So 66 sets of 4 -
For 66 blocks -


If I frame the blocks -
And add borders -
I think this might make a decent sized quilt - ;))

Each set is 4 identical squares -
Or - in my case - ALMOST identical squares -
Some of my layers could have matched better -
And my cuts could have been more precise -
But - lucky for me - this fabric pattern is VERY forgiving - ;))

Anyway -

Just rotate them until you find one you like -
And sew them into a 4-patch -
Easy peasy - ;))

Block #1 - four ways -
I chose the first one -





Block #2 - four ways -
I chose the last one -





Each 4-Patch should measure 6-1/2” -
And finish at 6” -
If I set them 8 x 8 -
I need 64 blocks -


So here’s the first four -


===

I think that I will post photos of the rest -

As I make them -

In sets of four -

On Wordless Wednesdays - ;))

That way you can see them -

And I get some freebies -

Some “wordless” posts -

That I can schedule once a week -

At least until Christmas - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -




10 comments:

Linda said...

Ooooo That's going to be pretty!! It's so fun deciding which layout to use for each block. I made one several years ago with a blue/grey Toile and no sashing. I love it. Can't wait to see yours.

Katie M. said...

This must be something that is 'trending'.... I saw a blog the other day on the 4-patch posie and thought it had to be a whole lot simpler than the stack and whack method (which I've done).... I like the fabric you've chosen. The blocks remind me of those expensive mosaic tiles - very pretty.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Linda - I sometimes have trouble deciding which layout to use - I like them ALL! - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Katie - and YES - it is MUCH easier than trying to mess with wedges - and I get pretty much the same effect with a LOT LESS work - my kind of block! - haha - ;))

Ramona said...

I made one of these last year out of shell fabric and love how it turned out. I had so much fun deciding on design of each block and then putting the whole top together. I really like your fabric and the blocks you are making. Enjoy!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Ramona - you show as a "no-reply" commenter - so I will "reply" here if you don't mind - ;))

I am having a terrific time making these blocks! I'm having fun twisting and turning them - and since they are simple little 4-patches - they are VERY easy to make. I can decide later if I want to sash them or not - and in the meantime - just enjoy putting them together - ;))

Unknown said...

I love your blocks. They look like tiles, hand-painted tiles! The fabric you chose was perfect for 4-patch posies. BTW, I blogged about these lovelies last year when I learned it from a friend. They definitely appeal to me more than the kaleidoscope, from the work angle I'm talking. These are so much more friendly!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Marsha - you show as a "no-reply" commenter, too - so I will "reply" here if you don't mind - ;))

They DO look like hand-painted tiles, don't they? And the 4-patch version is SUPER quilter-friendly!! I should have made these puppies a LONG time ago - when I first saw them on Chris's blog (Shared Creativity - see the Lefties list) a few years ago. They have been around for quite a while - I'm just a little late to the party - haha - ;))

Julie Fukuda said...

I have made two "stack and whack" quilts but my style is more "mark and cut".
I like the results especially with large prints, and once you figure out how it works, you can make those sections any size you want in threes or fours or sixes, or eights etc. Your tile blocks are super!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Julie - I'm having a great time making these!! The 4- patch version is so easy and they all look so different. The large repeat gives a terrific variety of color combinations. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the rest of them look like - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...