Friday, November 3, 2017

Rooster potholders - again -


Combining a variety of methods that I have learned through the years - I made some double-fold binding - and sewed it to the back of one potholder - like I do on my quilts - except that I started at the corner where I wanted to place the loop - not in the middle of one side. I sewed all around - mitered each corner and stopped at the last corner - and did NOT trim off the binding - leaving a long tail. Then I folded it to the front side - and clipped it down -


I use little hair clips that are sold in the Beauty department of Walmart and most drug stores - they are MUCH cheaper than other "quilting" clips - probably because they aren't specifically used for quilting - LOL. Why is it that as soon as "quilting" is added to something, the price seems to triple? - ;))


Anyway - I started at the first corner and top-stitched around the binding - with the bulk of the potholder to the right of the needle. When I got to the last corner - I just sewed off the end for about five inches -


Took it off the machine - measured out four inches - cut it off -


Turned the potholder over and folded the binding back on itself so the edge was straight and matched the stitching line. The "fold" runs around the inside edge and the "stitches" run along the outside edge of the loop - if that makes sense. I pinned it to hold it in place and stitched a big "X" from corner to corner to hold it down. I did not fold under the raw edge - maybe I should have - but I didn't think about it - and it's too late now - besides it would probably be pretty bulky - so it's good the way it is - ;))



The loop is a "natural" loop and big enough to hang on most anything - I didn't want it to be too small and hard to use. If you made one, you could always make the loop longer/shorter to suit yourself. You could also "round" the corners of the potholder so you didn't have to miter them - but it would probably be better to keep the "loop" corner square to simplify getting the loop to work correctly - ;))


After I finish the rest of them - I plan to work on a table runner for a friend. It's going to be in autumn oranges/browns for Thanksgiving - so I better get going.

In the meantime - here's a link to some silly Thanksgiving jokes - HERE -

My favorites are -
Q: Why do pilgrims pants keep falling down?
A: Because their belt buckles are on their hats!

Q: How do you keep a turkey in suspense?
A: I'll let you know next week.


Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Maybe I should put hanging loops on my quilt. That is so much easier than joining the bias on the angle.

Gene Black said...

I bought a bunch of the "clover mini clips" (probably a knockoff) on eBay for a good price. It is crazy how putting "quilting" on a label raises the price so much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...