Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Another one bound -


Ta Dah! - ;))

Christmas Blocks - 6x6 - Table Topper -



Close-up of the binding with the flange -


The scrappy back -


Oddball fat quarters and 1/4 yard cuts that don't really "go" with anything else were great for the scrappy back - now they have a home - LOL -


The narrow flange is a real nice touch -


And the label is on - ;))

I took the photo above before I added the label -


I like to sew around the outside edge of my labels using a blanket stitch and around the inside white area using a straight stitch - extra insurance so it doesn't come loose - and to flatten it out a bit -

And - since I used the same gold-colored thread in the bobbin that I used for the quilting - the label looks like another bit of quilting with a fancy decorative stitch - and isn't really that noticeable on the front - unless you're looking for it -


For a comparison of the two flange widths -

The one on the left is the Table Topper with the narrow flange cut at 1-3/4" -

The one on the right is the Table Runner with the wider flange cut at 2" -

The green on both is cut at 1-1/2" -
EDIT UPDATE -
I originally posted this at 1-1/4" - it was a typo - it SHOULD BE 1-1/2" - sorry - ;))


I thought at first that the narrow binding was TOO narrow so cut the wider one -

But I have since changed my mind - and now prefer the narrow one - ;))

Construction-wise - the flanged binding takes longer to make than plain binding - since you have two different colors cut at two different widths - and the join is separate for each - but it is MUCH easier to fold to the front and stitch in the ditch - you can see what you are doing -

The plain binding is faster to make - especially if you use straight seams - but it is more difficult for me to fold it to the back and HOPE that I catch it when I stitch in the ditch from the front - because I don't quite have the technique down yet - and I miss a lot of some spots - LOL -

Tomorrow I may try some "testing" to see if I can figure out what settings I need to make that plain binding - front to back - work for me - or not -

I may just go back to plain binding stitched to the back - folded to the front - and stitched down with a decorative blanket stitch - which is a combination of both - and much easier to see - LOL -

And continue to make the binding with the flange -

If I want something fancy - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Gene Black said...

You are on a roll. I love the flanged binding. I have done one of those and it came out great. It is also forgiving if my sewing isn't perfectly straight.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I also like the narrow flange. Since I glue baste all the binding down before I start sewing, I don't miss the back binding when I stitch down on the front. Glue binding has changed my perspective on binding and now I enjoy binding and my quilts are secure. The only thing I handsew is the label.

Barb said...

Awesome!!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...