Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Binding spree-


I was looking forward to the long week-end with thoughts of going on a binding spree - now that I found a nifty new way to do it - HERE - ;))

I had three to play with and was going to start with the Christmas Blocks - 6x6 - Table Topper -


Friday -

I laid out the binding that I had already prepared -

And was short THIS much - LOL -


So I found the plastic bin with the left-over fabric -
And cut another strip of each color -

And decided - while I was at it -

To un-sew both sets - and add half a strip of each color to each set -

And re-cut the gold at 1-3/4" instead of 2" for the narrower flange - then re-sew them back together - using a diagonal seam instead of my usual straight one -

The second set is in the same colors for O Happy Christmas- which needs more quilting before it's ready to be bound - but getting the binding ready can't hurt -

And I have learned through the years to NEVER put fabric back in my stash until I am totally DONE with something - so the bin had exactly what I needed - ;))


And I found another use for my LEFT-EZE Rule™ -

It was perfect for trimming the binding where I joined the two strips -

I lined up the 1/4" line on the diagonal seam line from corner to corner - and trimmed at 1/4" -


Saturday -

I finished the binding for four projects -

And chose my thread colors to match -


Sunday -

I bound the FMQ Practice Piece -

The back -


The front -
The colors aren't true in this one -


The colors are more true in this one - and the binding looks pretty good -


It was a fun practice piece - with lots of not-so-good stitching - but it does have a certain "primitive" charm to it - LOL - and I can always look back at this one to see how much I have improved -



Monday -

I decided to try another method - with NO flange - HERE - and had trouble holding the folded edge under while I stitched in the ditch from the top - seems I can't walk and chew gum at the same time any more - so I decided to "cheat" and glue that sucker down on the back so that I didn't have to worry about it - LOL -



It worked especially well in the corners -




Five Stars Plus 5 is bound! -

The totally scrappy back -
Which is one my FAVORITE backs - almost as pretty as the front -



And the front -

I used straight seams when I pieced the scrappy binding - and the join at the end was also a straight seam - so unless I told you - it would be hard to tell which one was the final join - they all look alike - which is a nice effect -



The stitching from the front is in white and "in-the-ditch" - so it's hard to see - which is the whole point - LOL -


From the back - it's not my best work - but it's a learning curve - and I will definitely be trying it again -

I want to find the "sweet spot" where the binding should be sewn so it will fold over "just right" to make a uniform size on the back - so I can catch it with the stitching from the top - without having to glue it down - maybe next time - LOL -




Which leaves me with this one -


It's all trimmed and ready to go -

And it's the one I was going to do in the first place -

Before I got side-tracked -

How do I DO that? - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have never been very successful with the "blind sewing" to attach the binding on the back. I don't do enough to get past that learning curve and my binding on the back sometimes doesn't get caught.

Frog Quilter said...

Love all your finishes. Very colorful and fun. Keep practicing the FMQ as it will help. Hugs.

Katie said...

You're retired, so who cares if it's a three-day weekend?! But a good use of it no less! You have far more patience than I do with machine-sewing that binding, but I know eventually the arthritis that has plagued my mom's family for generations is going to get me, too, and I'll have to learn to do it by machine. (I've tried. Stuck myself about 40,000 times with the pins I used to hold it down...perhaps glue is a better choice...and then missed it every other inch anyways...obviously I need more practice than you!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...