Sunday, October 27, 2019

All triangles -


Are NOT created equal - LOL - ;))

I still haven't found my mojo -

But while I was looking for it -

I ran across yet another pattern with BIAS edges all around -

And - even though I am NOT the quilt police -

And you can do as you please -

It IS one of my pet peeves -

So I thought I would post another Public Service Announcement - ;))

I know that most of my readers know that there is a difference between
HST (Half-Square Triangles) and QST (Quarter-Square Triangles) -

And they know - when used in blocks or quilts set "on-point" -

Which one goes where - and why - ;))

It all depends on which way the STRAIGHT of grain goes -

One has it on the straight sides -

One has it on the diagonal -

And which one is which depends on how you cut the original "square" -

And which triangle you get as a result - ;))

Some new quilters may not realize that there is a difference between the two -

And apparently some designers don't know and/or don't care -

I have even seen a die that has them oriented incorrectly on the "board" -

And some think that "a triangle is a triangle" -

Well - it is - but it isn't - LOL - ;))

They each serve a different purpose -

One is used for the corners -

And one is used for the side triangles -

They are NOT interchangeable -

So - this is a Public Service Announcement -

IF you find a block or pattern set on-point -

That has you cut MORE than FOUR HALF-SQUARE TRIANGLES (HST) -

For the sides and/or corners -

It will have ALL of the OUTSIDE EDGES ON THE BIAS - ;))


HOW do I know? -

Simple -

HST - Half-Square Triangles are made several ways - but the ORIGINAL way - and how it got the name - was to start with a square and cut it in HALF - by cutting diagonally ONCE from corner to corner - like this -


When you cut a square that way -

The outside edges of the CORNERS are on the STRAIGHT of grain -
And the diagonal is on the BIAS -

And you only need FOUR of them for ANY rectangular or square quilt - ;))


The pattern I saw - which I will not identify - so I do not embarrass the designer -

Said that you need FOUR triangles for the corners -

So - you were to take a square -

And cut it diagonally TWICE from corner to corner - like this -


True - you get FOUR triangles -

BUT -

When you cut a square that way - you get QST - Quarter-Square Triangles -

The outside edges of the corners are on the BIAS -
And the DIAGONAL is on the STRAIGHT of grain -

And you don't want that in the corners -

Because the outside edges will stretch out of shape -


You want those QST as the SIDE triangles -

Because the DIAGONAL is the STRAIGHT outside edge - ;))

And I don't care how BIG you make your block - or quilt -

It will NEVER have more than FOUR corners -

Assuming it's a rectangle or a square - LOL -

So you will NEVER need MORE than FOUR HST for the corners - ;))


So -

Once again -

IF you find a block or pattern set on-point -

That has you cut MORE than FOUR HALF-SQUARE TRIANGLES (HST) -

For the sides and/or corners -

It will have ALL of the OUTSIDE EDGES ON THE BIAS - ;))


If you're OK with that -

That's fine -

But I'm not - LOL -

I want my CORNER triangles to be on the STRAIGHT of grain -

I want my CORNER triangles to be HALF-SQUARE TRIANGLES - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Barbara said...

You are so smart about these things, triangles, bias edges, and the list goes on. If I want to sew, I often cut without a ruler and attach one piece to another Nilly-Willy. Voila, I’ve sewn! Lol.

Gene Black said...

I agree that those outside edges really should be on straight of grain for practical purposes such as stretch and longevity. If I do all that work, I want the quilt to last.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I totally agree with you that a lot of people just don't know the difference. It only takes doing it wrong once to make you remember the right way.

Sherry said...

What you describe is exactly how I was taught in my very first quilt classes.

I think in this "get it done, and quick" time that all the "old" ways are being tossed out without considering the implications.

I hope that you find your mojo soon. . .I miss the eye candy.

Have a lovely day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...