Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Arbor Window -


Last week I got sidetracked -

Four new dies came out recently -

And since I have two die cutters - the regular one - and the heavy duty one -

When they come out with new dies - I usually check to see if I can make any new "block" (or something similar) with dies that I already have -

And/or if I can make them using my LEFT-EZE Rule™ -

When I read the page for the Chimney Sweep - 10" finished die-

I noticed that their version has the outside edges on the bias -

When they should be on the straight-of-grain -

And saw that I can make a similar version with what I already have - YAY!! -

So - for fun - I made the block that I found in EQ - called Arbor Window - ;))


I have a die that will cut "Square-on-point" patches -

So I printed out the EQ rotary cutting instructions for a 9" block -

Which calls for the size of the "Square-on-point" patch that matches my die -

And used it to cut out two sets of "center" patches -




Then - because I needed both HST and QST to fill in the corners and sides -

I checked my LEFT-EZE Rule™ SIZE CHART - for the strip width that I needed - since I can cut BOTH shapes with my ruler from the SAME SIZE pre-cut strips - which is really cool - TWO rulers in one - what a deal! - LOL - ;))

Cut the HST -
Like a square cut in half - once on the diagonal -


And the QST -
Like a square cut into quarters - twice on the diagonal -



The strips were folded over double -
So I cut 2 sets of 4 HST for the CORNERS - and 2 sets of 8 QST for the SIDES -

The smaller ones are HST - they go in the CORNERS because they have the straight of grain on the outside - straight - edges -

The larger ones are QST - they go on the SIDES because they have the straight of grain on the outside - diagonal - edge -


Put the smaller corner HST on the design board first -


Filled in with the QST for the sides -


Sewed the block in diagonal rows - like a quilt that is set "on-point" -


And added the HST corner triangles last -

Because I use strips - the dog-ear on one side is cut off -

And lines up perfectly with the edge of the QST on the side -


Pressed the HST corner seams to the corner -

I pressed all of the rows toward the outside edge -
Since I don't like to press seams "open" -
I can always re-press them if I want to set them block-to-block-
Or I can use sashing to avoid having to match the points on the side -


I still need to trim the remaining dog-ears -



Then I made the second one -


And now I have two - ;))


If I add another round of squares - it comes out to a 12" block -

That I have also seen called a Great Granny Squared block -

==

As a side note -

When I noticed that the new die put HST all around the SIDES - and QST in the CORNERS - which results in BIAS edges on ALL of the outside edges - I sent an email to AQ pointing out the error as nicely and as simply as I could -

I couldn't be the only one who noticed - but apparently no one on their end did -
since it was released that way -

I figured that they couldn't correct an error if no one told them that they made one in the first place - but when I tried to explain it to them - they kept insisting that the die was correct as designed. After some back and forth - they finally said that they would pass it along to the Product team for review - so we'll see what happens -

The block works and the pieces fit because the triangle SIZES are right -

But the SHAPES are arranged on the die incorrectly for the fabric grain -

Which leaves bias on the edges -

The smaller triangle on the die for the corners is a QST and should be a HST -
The straight of grain is on the diagonal -
And it should be on the sides -

The larger triangles on the die for the sides are HST and should be QST -
The straight of grain is on the sides -
And it should be on the diagonal -

I have seen patterns/rulers designed with the outside edges of a patch/block on the bias - and some people don't seem to care - and/or they think that it doesn't make a difference - but I think that it does -

I think it's important to have the edges on the straight-of-grain - whether it's a patch or a block - I like a stable block that doesn't have bias/stretchy edges - but then again - it's probably just me - LOL - ;))

Maybe one of you can explain it to them better than I could -

If you want to give it a try - please tell them that "Kitty sent you" - LOL -

I gave it my best shot -

Now I want to go chase some other Squirrels - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Gene Black said...

Oh my! Since the die cutter is so attractive to newer quilters, I can see this causing problems. When the bias is on the outside edge and the block is pressed or ironed, the bias will stretch and distort the block. This can cause the blocks to not fit together well. It can also cause the quilt to 'bubble' when you are trying to quilt it. Then you have puckers in your top that makes the piecing look bad.

I hope they correct it. I had noticed this also and sent a message to them. I was told that the pattern designer said that it is correct.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I noticed the problem with the die too. They also had a mistake on their video of the setting triangles dies that they released a little while ago. They show cutting the corner triangles so they end up on the bias. My friend wrote to them about that....I wonder if they changed the video because that die is correct.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have always loved that block and would love to make some. So, is it better to just cut the triangles myself?

Sherry said...

I had been taught, years ago, that you always want the edges of your blocks to be on straight of grain. And that is how I have taught in the past.

I have noticed that lots of new designers don't seem to worry about grain lines in their work.

Guess it is just faster to get the blocks done & let the quilter worry about whether there are puckers or not.

I like your new blocks. . .what are they going to be when they "grow up"?

Julie Fukuda said...

Interesting read, but since I have to mark and cut and sew by hand, all I have to do is grab that template I made out of plastic, decide which edges get the bias, and draw around it. I would never want stretchy edges to deal with.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...