Friday, August 23, 2019

Autumn Trees - bound -


Finally!! -

But it took me two tries -

And most of the week - ;))


Round 1 -

I made some "flanged binding" -

And decided to try to stabilize the edges by tacking down the tulle with a 3-step zig-zag on some chalk lines that I drew on the back - because it was easier to draw them on the back than on the tulle on the front - missed it by a bit the first time on this side - and had to do it a second time - LOL -


Then I tried to use the chalk lines on the back as baselines to line up the binding when I sewed it to the back -


I didn't want to trim it until AFTER I sewed on the binding - because I didn't want to risk cutting the tulle and letting the confetti fall out - LOL -

Added some corner triangles for hanging - and stitched it down - then had to un-sew it all since it wasn't even close to being straight or the corners square -


So - Round 2 -

This time I drew the lines on the front - as straight and as square as I could -
Inside the 3-step zig-zag lines since I didn't want to un-sew them -


I used whatever color of chalk - yellow or blue -
That I needed to make it show up on the tulle -



And sewed a single straight line along the drawn lines -


Used that stitched line as the baseline to sew the binding to the back -


Trimmed it - looks straight enough and the corners are square - LOL -


And wouldn't you know - I cut a corner on the binding when I trimmed it - CRAP! -
But it was on the inside/flange part -
So I was able to hide it in the inside when I mitered that corner - WHEW! -


Folded the binding to the front and stitched it down -

I used the same fabric as the backing for the binding -
The flange is the gold fabric that you see in the previous photos -


The binding is a little wider on the front than it is on the back - but that's OK -
The tulle is stitched down TWICE so I don't think the confetti is going anywhere -


The top right corner is the one that I accidentally cut -
But it's hidden so you wouldn't know it was under there if I didn't tell you -



And - unfortunately - I lost that second little tree on the right - but I think it's worth it to have the tulle super-tacked down all the way around - next time I'll try not to put a tree that close to the edge - you can see a little of it peeking out from under the flange -


I LOVE the effect of the "falling leaves" -
MANY THANKS to Katie for the suggestion -
And to ALL of you who gave me some great input along the way -






Over-all - it doesn't look too bad for a first try - ;))


Now I have to make a label -

A Scrap Card - that should be fun - LOL -

A Heart for my Memory Quilt -

And work up a Scrapbook Page -

Then I can call it DONE - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



5 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

When you hang it up, do all those bits stay in place? It makes a nice impressionist painting.

Cindy Quilts said...

Beautiful! Love the flanged binding.

Barbara said...

A lot of work, but worth it all, looks perfect!

Gene Black said...

Wow, even with the "oops" moments, it worked out great. Since it is a wall quilt (won't be washed) the cut binding is not an issue.

How do you feel about the flanged binding? Would you ever do it on a large quilt?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think it looks great and all of the oops will never be seen. I have never done the flanged binding. I'm always in too much of a hurry to get the piece finished.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...