Thursday, August 8, 2019

Autumn Trees - second layer -


First -

Let me say again - that I didn't come up with this technique -

In a previous post - HERE - I said that I found the technique/project in the book -

"Confetti Naturescapes" by Noriko Endo - © 2010 -

That I bought from Accuquilt™ years ago - along with her two dies - ;))

Her first naturescape - Forest Verge - was made in 1996 -

So I'm pretty sure that she invented the technique - ;))

Check my last post - HERE - for other versions that I found on the internet - ;))


At the back of her book is a project called "Autumn Trees" -

Noriko Endo designed the piece -

I just tried to copy it -

So after my company left -

I pulled it back out -


Backed it with a pretty batik -

Added a few more trees -

And started to play with the second layer - the leaves -


I decided that I liked the looks of the crumbled bits - on the right -

Better than the flat ones - on the left -


So I took the orange and yellow ones off -


And tried it again -


Realized that I needed more RED -


And found some nicely colored batiks for more ground cover -


Played with the YELLOW/GREEN trees on the right -


And the GREEN tree on the left -

And the RED one on the right -


Added some ORANGE and a bit of YELLOW -


Added a tree in the middle -


Didn't like it - so I took it off -

Realized that I had RED leaves on the PURPLE tree -

So I moved them to the tree on the right - LOL -

Started to add more to the PURPLE tree -

And didn't notice that I had PURPLE leaves on the YELLOW tree - LOL -


Found some different REDS/PURPLES for accents -


Crumbled them up into littler bits -


Added them to the RED and PURPLE trees -



Looks pretty good from this angle -


Let it sit overnight -

Then the next morning I added another tree in front -

And decided to make it YELLOW -


But it didn't look right - so I made it taller -


And added some more ground cover bits -


The YELLOW tree still didn't look right -


So I made it even taller -

Covering up the PURPLE leaves behind it -

And STILL didn't think to MOVE the PURPLE leaves - LOL -


And then I added some more YELLOW leaves to the bottom -

And changed out the trunk to a darker BROWN -


Here are some close-ups of the trees -




And that's where it is now -

I have the second layer of tulle on -

It needs to be pinned and quilted -

And I have to get some bits of ground cover OFF the trees - LOL -

And a little tweaking here and there -

But the second layer is DONE as far as the colors go -

And I LIKE it - ;))

Here again - just to clarify -

Noriko Endo designed the piece -

I just tried to copy it -

The project at the back of her book is called "Autumn Trees" -


And that was my "inspiration" -


What do you think? -

I didn't get it exactly right -

But it's not too bad considering the fact that I am NOT an "artist" -

I was just having FUN -

Playing like I was a kid with a new box of crayons -

And coloring outside of the lines - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

Barbara said...

This is awesome! I like it best along so many different stages, my “best” keeps changing. Lol. Yay for fall! Beautiful!

Gene Black said...

This is looking really good. I want to see what thread painting you do to enhance it after it is quilted in place.

Katie said...

It's looking great. I know you're going for her look, but as I was looking at your progression it struck me that trees in those stages or color change are losing their leaves. How would it look with a few "leaves" on the ground? Maybe that opened a whole new can of worms, and maybe you won't like the idea or effect, but it just struck me as funny that when the trees in my yard are all colorful, so is the lawn!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think it is really looking good. How many layers are there? Just one more?

Sherry said...

I think it looks great. But you never said, are you going to move the purple leaves off of the yellow tree in the back?

Yeah, I know, there is one in every crowd & it is usually me. ha ha ha

You are doing a great job. Can't wait for the next installment.

Sarah said...

I love it - I enjoy reading your blog - you are so creative and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...