Friday, August 2, 2019

Sneak peek -


It doesn't look like much yet -

And I'll give you a sneak peek in a minute -

But first - let me start with these guys - ;))

I didn't think that I had enough background -

So I made some more confetti from these -


And put them on their own plate -


Then I found a piece of foam core board - 20" x 30" in the closet -

And used that as a base so I could carry it from the kitchen island to the "studio" without messing it up -

Then cut a fat quarter from some pale yellow for the backing -


Cut a piece of polyester batting about an inch shorter all around -

And laid that on top of the yellow backing -


And spread out all of the plates -

That made me feel like a kid with a new box of crayons - LOL - ;))


Like I said -

It doesn't look like much yet -

And I don't want to spoil the ending -

The first layer is all of the background stuff -

And a general layout of the sections -

But here's some of the "leaf" background -


And some of the "ground" -


This is a shot of the YELLOW backing (that my camera thinks is GREEN) -

And you can see why it will have a second backing when I add the next layer -

So my wonky stitching won't show - ;))


The foam core board worked wonderfully for transporting the "work in progress" to the sewing machine without getting confetti all over the place - LOL - ;))

The least fun part of it so far was stopping to re-thread the monofilament thread that kept snapping. My normal tension setting is 3.5 - so I lowered it 2 whole numbers - to 1.5 - and it still kept breaking. I slowed waaaaaaaaay down and that seemed to help - but FMQ that first layer was a royal pain. I'll switch to 100% cotton thread for the second layer - I should have fewer issues with that - ;))

Tomorrow I have some chores to do before company comes for the weekend -

So I won't be able to play with this again for a couple of days -

The second layer has all of the FUN stuff -

So when I get that done -

I'll show you more - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



7 comments:

Karen M said...

I always have to put the top tension at 0 when I use monofilament.

Cindy Quilts said...

Looks like you are having fun! Well, except for the thread breaking. New crayons - I love that.

Barbara said...

This is looking awesome! Your supplies look very organized, and using a foam board was a great idea. Taking a break between stages of a project is often a good idea. You will go back refreshed, and maybe even with a new idea or two as it comes together.

Gene Black said...

This is an interesting start. i look forward to seeing how it develops as you add more layers of confetti.

Katie said...

Your workspace is WAAAAYYY too tidy! And then you tease with a start and tell us you're going to be a few days? Ugh. Some people...*eyeroll* But seriously, it's looking good and interesting and I'm excited to see how the next steps have gone.

Sherry said...

Can I just say that I hate cliff hangers! ROFLOL

It is looking interesting. . .and I second the comment that you are waaaayyyy too organized and neat! My pictures would never look that good.

Looking forward to seeing how things all come together.

Julie Fukuda said...

Somehow I am having trouble imagining where this is all going. I just wish I could send you some piles of crumbs so you don't have to chop up big fabrics into tiny pieces.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...