Friday, July 19, 2019

Skip a Squirrel -


My next Squirrel was going to be this
Mini Mosaic - Bicycle - by Cheryl Lynch -


Then I was going to try my hand at a Confetti Naturescape -
From the book by Noriko Endo -


She has a lovely project at the end of the book - Autumn Trees -


I told a friend that I've got some prep work to do - which should be fun - but the actual Squirrel will require some artistic skills that I'm not sure that I have. I'll give it a try, though - the worst that could happen is that I wind up with a funny "let's all see how I screwed this one up" post - ;))

She said it's called a Learning Experience - or Artistic License -


So I decided to Skip a Squirrel -

Do the Mini Mosaic - Bicycle later -

And play with the Confetti Naturescape - ;))

Years ago - when I bought the book - Accuquilt also offered a die to cut the "confetti" - and another one to cut "cherry blossoms" -

I bought both dies when I bought the book - but neither the dies nor the book are currently available from Accuquilt. The Cherry Blossom Scarf pattern is still available - HERE - but the "Die has been retired to the AccuQuilt Vault and is currently not available for purchase." I'm not quite sure how they expect you to make the scarf without the die - but then again - it's probably just me - LOL - ;))

Anyway - I dug out my confetti die and a strip of solid fabric to do a test run -

Trimmed the selvage off the top edge - and ran it through my die cutter -


And got confetti toothpick sized pieces -


Then I realized that - since it wasn't going to be sewn or washed - there really was no need to trim the selvage - so that will save me a step -


Then a friend - you know who you are (THANK YOU!!) - sent me some squishy mail with bits and pieces - ;))


I pulled one piece out - to compare the sizes of the scraps and the confetti -

You can see the difference -

The scraps are 1/4" - and three confetti strips measure 1/2" - so they're SKINNY!! -


And the squishy mail had a BUNCH of strips -


So I sorted them - roughly - by color -



And stacked them neatly for later -


Then I rummaged through my stash for some browns for the ground and trees -


Found this one - maybe for trees -


And this batik - for more trees -


Then I found some of my batik scraps in a variety of colors -


Pulled out the baggie for later -
It's the bits and pieces from my Ladies quilt - beautiful pinks and purples -


Found some yellows and some golds and greens -


Sorted some of the scraps -

There's no point in cutting up perfectly good BIG pieces if I have LITTLE pieces everywhere - LOL -



Went back to the baggie of pinks and purples - sorted those -


Put them in an empty egg carton - which has a bunch of little cubbies for the confetti -


Then I remembered my bin of Squirrel Poop -


And found this baggie of bits and pieces -




Oh - my pretties!! -

I'll be sorting you tomorrow - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



8 comments:

diane said...

Your confetti is making me smile as I have saved some over the years as well but haven't used any. Can't wait to see your artistic piece finished. It will be awesome I'm sure.

Katie said...

You're gonna be sorting for eons! But hey, whatever makes you happy. And I'm sure your confetti trees are going to be amazing. You'll see!

Frog Quilter said...

Love all those itty bitty scraps. It’s the little things in life.....

Sherry said...

Wow, that is a lot of confetti. Good luck with the new project.

Gene Black said...

The bicycle will gladly wait while you play with confetti. you have some lovely stacks of confetti pieces. I can hardly wait to see your creation.

Rebecca said...

Looks like you have been "saving" for this project/squirrel/artistic" fling for some time.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think you are going to want all batiks for your confetti because the color goes all the way through the fabric, no white back showing. Maybe your friend will send you a variety of brown batiks for the trees and ground......

Barbara said...

Wow, what fun playtime! Your eyes must be very good. Such tiny pieces! Have fun with the confetti. Handling fabric of any size brings me peace.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...