Saturday, July 6, 2019

In this box -


Is my next Sunday Squirrel -


But not until I play with this some more -


I pressed both panels and sewed them into tubes -

Folded the first one so that it would fit on my cutting mat with the seams exposed -
It's easier to line up and keep straight if I can see the seams -


And I used a "lipped" ruler -


That is the same length as my cutting mat -


And as I cut the strata into strips -


I pinned them to my ironing mat draped over the end of my kitchen island -
It's easier than traipsing back and forth to the design wall in the hallway -
Besides - the Dresden Plates are still on the one wall -
And my first LHQSQ is on the other -


So - after I cut most of the first panel -

I was tired of cutting and wanted to SEW something - LOL -

I started with the first four strips - decided that I wanted it to go from FAT to SKINNY and back again - and decided where I wanted the "step" to start - and that I wanted it to go UP at the beginning -

I had pressed the seams on the panel UP since it was easier to cut the strips if the seams went AWAY from me and the rotary cutter - but that meant that every other strip had to be "reversed" so the seams went DOWN to nest more easily - BEFORE I "un-sewed" the strips -

Having the panel read the same from the top and bottom certainly helped - since all I had to do was "reverse" them and it didn't mess up the color flow at all -

Sometimes I do cool stuff totally by accident -

Love it when that happens - LOL -

ODD columns - seams go UP -

EVEN columns - seams go DOWN -
It seams counter-intuitive - but you'll see later why I do it that way -


Flip the ODD columns face up -


Put the EVEN columns down on top of the ODD ones - right sides together -

And sewed the first "twosies" -


Sewing the "twosies" has the strip with the seams going UP on the bottom - which is easy to check as you go along -

And - if I sew all of the sets together from left to right -

Once the "twosies" are sewn -

ALL of the seams on the bottom section will be going DOWN as I progress across the top -

The section on the top will have the seams going UP - and those I can see - making them easy to nest as I go along -


Pulled the next four strips - did the same thing - and sewed the "twosies" -


Pulled the next four strips -


Here you can see that the last strip in the "foursie" has all of the seams going DOWN -


I got to this part and before I even bothered to press it -

I had to see what it looked like ALL laid out -

So I took it to the kitchen island -


And I LIKE it!! - LOL - ;))


I told myself that I still have to sew these on the first panel -

And I still have to cut the rest of the first panel -

And cut all of the second panel - and get it all together -


Before I can play with the Sunday Squirrel -

In this box -

Maybe NEXT Sunday - ;))




Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

Gene Black said...

The strata project is looking great. But that tease with the box? Well that is just mean. LOL

Linda Swanekamp said...

The strips are looking great. They seem to being going together quite well.

Cindy Quilts said...

That is looking great! Love the colors!

Karen M said...

You are making great progress on this. It will be beautiful.

Julie Fukuda said...

Getting all those cats lined up in an orderly fashion would drive me nuts. It sure is nice though to watch someone else do it.

Sherry said...

It is looking really good. . .but I have to admit, even though I am a left hander and should understand how you are explaining things (we are wired the same, wouldn't you think?) I still need to draw things out so that I am sure I am understanding what you are doing.

Guess maybe it is more that I am getting old! LOL

It is going to be a beautiful quilt top when it gets completed. Those colors are just so pretty and cheerful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...