Thursday, July 25, 2019

Learning experience -


I took a break the other day and played with some monofilament thread and a variety of settings trying to get the tension right for this Confetti project -

With some very helpful suggestions from some friends - I tried it again today - and managed to get rid of the "eyelashing" - but this is about as good as I could get it using a polyester batting -

I wrote down all of the settings on an index card so that I could refer to it later -


Then I tried a different batting - Hobbs 80/20 - 100% cotton - fusible -

I need to slow down and shorten my stitch - and I don't like the bobbin thread "pokies" - but I like it better than the polyester batting - so I wrote down all of these settings, too -


Then I thought - why are you trying it on this stuff? -

Why don't you make a miniature version of the Confetti project and try it on that? -

So I took some scraps and confetti and made a sample piece about 6" square -

Starting with a really quick "first layer" -

One tree - some leaves - sky - ground -


Did some FMQ loops and swirls - to tack it all down -

And made several adjustments along the way -


Then I added some more confetti for a "second layer" -

A second tree - more leaves and ground -

And tacked all of that down -


It didn't turn out too bad for an experiment -

And it was a terrific learning experience! -


I learned that -

If you're going to practice - practice on the same thing you're going to use in the final project - I know now that I want a plain muslin for the backing until I get it FMQ - then I'll add the batik backing at the end - that way all of my wonky stitching won't show on the back -

If you don't want confetti all over the place - PIN the edges down - before you start to stitch -

If you don't want "pokies" to show - use a color in the bobbin that blends with the TOP - not the backing -

If you don't want any of the batting to show - make sure to cover ALL of the batting with fabric or "background" stuff in the first layer - the second layer is for texture effects -

If you want the trees to be straight and stay that way - PIN them in place - before you start to stitch -

And last - but not least -

I learned not to worry about what it's going to look like -

I know that I am no artist -

And told one of my friends that I hoped it would resemble "Autumn Leaves" -

She told me - "Whatever it resembles, it will be one of a kind!" -

She sure got that right - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I really thought that these were started with a layer of fabric over the batting before the "bits" were added. I know that I saw one person do it that way. (or maybe my memory is failing me.)

Sherry said...

Hmmm. . . the technique looks very similar to something that I did "way back when" to make bookmarks with "sewing ends" from lace, ribbon, trims and fabric cuts.

Only thing was that we used a backing fabric, "threw" all the "junk" onto the fabric, topped it with some really sheer fabric and then just zig zagged (or decorative stitched) all over the entire thing to keep everything in place.

Then we would cut the "new" fabric into bookmark sized pieces, stitch on a decorative ribbon and call it done.

Glad to see that you are working out the "kinks". . . wish I did that more often! LOL

Barbara said...

Your willingness to practice and learn shows, you are nailing this! I’ll be watching as time passes to see your process. Thanks for all the info (and for the mention ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...