(11/16/10 - Imported from old blog - Quilt Bum - no relation to Marianne Fons - and re-edited.)
OK, so it's Sunday - what did I do this week? I sound kinda like Craig Ferguson, huh? For those of you who don't know - at the end of his show he does a bit - "So, what did we learn on the show tonight, Craig?" So, what did we do in the sewing room this week, Kitty?
Well, let's see -
I added the Halloweeny tablerunner/placemat thing to my "to be quilted" pile.
I made some headway on the Black/White/Red quilts. There are five of them so I named them, too - "Red Cosmo" - "Black Cosmo" - "Red Stripe" - "Black Stripe" - "Multi" - so I could talk about them separately. Each quilt has a matching pillowcase and some extra blocks with the "theme" print.
I hung the matching pillowcases in the closet so I could match the tops and backs as I get them done.
I finished the blocks for Red Cosmo and did the layout on the hallway wall. I was surprised - I didn't rearrange the blocks that much - they seemed to look all right without too much fussing. Just like I like it. I'll show you a picture in a minute.
I made the half blocks - pressed them - and sewed the whole blocks for Black Stripe. It's ready to put up on the wall - as soon as I get Red Cosmo down. I want to do all five in sort of an assembly line - so I can finish them all at the same time - because I certainly don't want to start from scratch five times. To me, that makes about as much sense as making five cookies - separately. Nah, I don't think so.
I bagged up Black Cosmo - Red Stripe - and Multi. They were getting in my way. This way I can pull out one bag at a time. The plan is to sew the top of #1 together - while I play with the layout of #2 - and sew the blocks of #3. As each top is made, I'll add it to the pillowcase in the closet. And then work on the backs - binding - sleeves - etc. And yes, I put sleeves on bed quilts - just in case the owner ever wants to hang it - he/she can without a lot of hassle. I made a quilt for my sister-in-law one time - for her family room couch - no sleeve. She wanted to hang it on the wall - and had a hell of a time figuring out how to do it without ruining the quilt. Lesson learned.
I figured out my sewing sequence for Red Cosmo. Most patterns say to sew the blocks together in rows and then sew the rows together. Makes sense - but I don't do it that way. This quilt is 4 blocks across by 5 blocks down. That means five rows and twelve match points. I have to match three points - four times. The rows get too big and heavy for me that way. I'm going to do it differently. My way - I match one point eight times and then four points once. The same twelve match points - but with less hassle. For me, at least. If anyone is interested in how I do it - let me know in the comments section - I'll do a tutorial.
Oh, yeah - almost forgot - the picture of Red Cosmo on the wall. It is supposed to be 4 blocks across and 5 down - but I can't reach that high - so I laid it out - 5 across and 4 down - same difference if you look at it sideways. So I took the picture that way.
Talk to you later. Gotta go - gotta sew...
- My Store
- LEFT-EZE™ Rule
- LEFT-EZE™ Rule - Tutorials
- LEFT-EZE™ Rule - Size Chart
- LEFT-EZE™ Rule - Free Pattern & Tutorial
- LEFT-EZE™ Rule - Reviews/Testimonials
- About This Blog - And Me
- Quilt Journal
- QJ - Floral Applique
- Sudoku Quilts
- Studio Organization
- Fabric Storage Tips
- Left-Handed Quilting (LHQ) - Introduction
- LHQ - Basics
- LHQ - Rotary Cutting
- LHQ - Construction
- LHQ - Hand Sewing
- LHQ - Binding
- LHQ - Finishing The Quilt
- LHQSQ - LHQ Sampler Quilt
- Quilt-Along - LHQSQ 2.0
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment