Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Crumby fun -


Yesterday I got a comment about my cutting a piece BEFORE adding it to a crumb block - so I thought maybe I should clarify a bit - ;))

For crumb blocks - I usually gather a bunch of bits and pieces - crumbs - and sew them together willy nilly - to get bigger pieces - or I may sew a bunch of crumbs to a long strip and then cut off the sections - and I may even straighten an edge here and there as I go along - but mostly it's mindless sewing of one thing to another -

And I keep going until the "crumby bits" get bigger and bigger -


Until they eventually get to about the size I want them to be -


Then I square them off like I showed yesterday -
And maybe add some more to one side or the other or both -
Like I did to the purple one in the middle -


But it all depends on the shape of the "crumby bits" and what I need to finish it - ;))


Some "crumby bits" wind up "squarer" than others -

And some might have weird angles -

So sometimes I DO want/need to cut a special piece to square it up -

Before I add more to it or trim it down to size - ;))






Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

That makes sense. My method is more keep sewing on pieces until it is bigger than the ruler I will square it with. The cut a square from it. If any of the trimmed bits are big enough, I use them in the next crumb block.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Gene - I do that on some of the bigger and "squarer" ones - if any of the trimmed bits are big enough - and anything over 1/2" is always fair game - ;))

Like you said in your comment yesterday - It is fun to see how others do things - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...