Monday, August 22, 2016

Design Wall Monday - 8/22/16

DESIGN WALL MONDAY -
Check out all of us who link up with Judy L. -
At Patchwork Times on Mondays.
We have some awesome stuff on our walls!
Well, THEY do - ME - not so much sometimes - ;))
===



On my wall today -

Crumb blocks in a possible maybe layout - as a block of 4-patches - on point -
Imagine a neutral/muslin sashing between the units with a crumb in the middle -
I have an idea for an alternate block but don't have one worked up yet - ;))


In other news, I layered/fuse-basted the June Wedding Sudoku and stitched in the ditch of every single seam. Yeah, I know - boring - and I have said before that I thought that it was a complete waste of time and that I wasn't going to bother if I intended to do an all-over FMQ design - BUT - I want to do a block-by-block FMQ design and the "ditch" quilting should stabilize it so that it doesn't get all tweaked before it gets quilted - ;))


Here's a close-up so that you can maybe see the various white-on-white and white-on-cream fabrics - they really are pretty in real life - and the gold sashing seems to work well. I used Superior Threads - Bottom Line - 60 wt. lint-free Polyester in the bobbin and YLI - Clear - 100% Nylon as the top thread - ;))


AND - I got the Ladies layered/fuse-basted - and added pins for extra stability - ;))


I used a very pretty batik for the backing - didn't bother to piece it - just one big chunk. And I found in my stash of threads - what I think is a perfect color match - but it's a "Serger Thread" - Maxi-Lock Serger Thread - on a 3000 yd. cone - 40 wt/2 ply - 100% Polyester Serger Thread.


I thought I could use this as the bobbin thread with the Clear Nylon as the top thread - when I do the "ditch" quilting with my walking foot - but before I do -
I have a couple of questions for anyone who might have a couple of answers -

Question(s) - Do you know of any reason why this would NOT be suitable for use as the bobbin thread? - It says that it's a 40 wt. (slightly thicker than the 50 wt. that I use for piecing) - and that it's a 2 ply polyester - but what makes it a "Serger Thread" as opposed to any other polyester sewing thread? - And does it HAVE to be used ONLY in a serger - or can it also be used in a regular sewing machine? Have you ever tried it? Did it work? - ;))

Let me know what you think in the comment section below -

I'll test it before I actually use it - but I'm curious and want to hear your thoughts and/or experiences with it -

Thanks - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

Hmmmm... I seem to remember reading that serger thread is two ply and sewing thread is 3 ply making it stronger. But I could be wrong...and I have never tried it.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Hmmmm...guess the only way to find out is to test it and see if it works - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...