Wednesday, September 13, 2023

A little more cutting -

 
 
Long story short - 
 
The skewed strata on my Sundance Bargello was an EASY fix -
 
===
 
I could have un-sewn a couple more seams to try to straighten them out - 
 
Or taken them all apart - 
 
But I didn't want to do that - 
 
And - as it turned out - I didn't have to - 
 
I only un-sewed the very last seam that made each "tube" -
 
Then I folded each one in half so that both layers were nice and flat - 
 
And the strip seams were all straight - going from left to right - 
 
Then I pinned the last seam just the way it was -
 
With the ends of the strips "offset" a bit - 
 
And resewed that seam on each one - 
 
I figured that I could sew the mis-matched last seam - 
 
And pretend that all of the edges were even - 
 
Because they would be - 
 
After I made my first cut to even the edge - LOL - 
 
The only question then was whether or not I would have enough width - 
 
To cut all of the strips that I needed from each strata - 
 
And I did - YAY!! -
 
I would have been in BIG trouble - 
 
If I had tried to cut the strips before straightening them out - 
 
So - after I sewed them - and folded one up to cut it - 
 
I rechecked my math - 
 
And thought I could get all of the strips I needed - 
 
Cut at the correct widths - 
 
And I was right - 
 
 
The first strata had the "center" piece - 
 
So it had one extra strip to cut - 
 
The scrap on the right was my "straighten the edge" cut - 
Because I'm LEFT-handed - and cut from the RIGHT side of the strata -
 
And the scrap on the left was what I had left over -
 
So you can see that I had plenty - 
 
And how straight my strip seams are - 
 
And how uneven the left edge is - 

 
The second strata had even more left over at the end - 
 
Another reason why I LOVE the flat packs by Island Batik - 
 
The edges are cut straight - and NOT pinked - 
 
The strip widths are accurate - 
 
And they are longer than some other brands -

 
Anyway - 
 
I got both strata cut and hung over the front rail of the longarm - 

 
With my Northern Woods Bargello strips hanging over the back rail - 
 
And my Sundance Bargllo strips hanging over the front rail - 
 
It doesn't look like I'll be doing much longarm quilting for a while - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I am glad to know that you got it all sorted out.

Jeanna said...

I'm happy it was an easy fix for you.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Good thing you are so smart. I would have ripped it all unhappily. I love the Island Batiks for the same reason. It looks marvelous. I have strips waiting to be cut, but also a kitchen remodel going on. I am in chaos/can't find anything mode.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...