Wednesday, April 3, 2019

A little experimenting -


With a fuzzy head probably wasn't the best idea -

But I did it anyway -

And called it PLAYTIME - LOL - ;))

I got out the fabric that I had set aside the other day -

That I had originally intended to use for borders because of the wonderful stripes -

And counted the lengthwise repeats in the far right column - 8 and a half -

And I wanted/needed 8 - so I ripped off a strip -

That will leave me four stripes to use for borders some other day -



Now - where to cut it for the repeat? -


This seemed like a logical spot -


So I did - to make 8 repeats -
Actually I snipped it - and tore it - but the effect is the same -


Stacked them - and did the "pin" thing again -


But this time I "stapled" them together instead of using fabric glue -
I think that the fabric glue works better than the staples -
But that's what experiments are for - right? -
To find out what works and what doesn't -


Smoothed them out - used a "flower pin" under the plastic sheet -


And ran them through the die cutter -

Don't tell the guys at AQ - but I figured that if it would take 8-10 layers of fabric - it should be able to take 8 layers and a flat pin - as long as I made sure to keep the pin AWAY from the die blades - and UNDER the plastic - and it worked -


But using a HST die for a 45-degree triangle - didn't work exactly the way I thought it would -

I have a hole in the middle -

And the tips need to be trimmed off to make an octagon -
Or I could sew a strip to every other triangle - and then square it off -


Here I spun it the other direction -


Then - just because - I put them in HST formation -

Interesting -

But not spinning because I don't have mirror images -
All of the fabrics were right side UP on the die -


So - I cut three more -

For a total of 4 - to play with -


Because - why not? -

I'm just playing -









Thought I might as well sew one together to see if the "sewn" piece still had the hole in the middle - and my fuzzy brain must have shorted out for a second or two or ten because that bottom one ain't right - LOL - ;))


I stitched it all together - and since I'm not a fan of pressing seams "open" - I pressed them in a circle and then tried to spin the seam - it's a little bulky - but not that bad considering how many seams are coming together at the same spot - so maybe that hole in the middle eliminated some of the bulk -


And from the front -


Up close -


The more I looked at it -

The more it gave me a headache - and I already had one - LOL -

So I laid out the last three in a QST configuration - figured they would have the dog-ear notches on the outside corners - but they would be a whole lot easier to put together -


Then I thought -

Why bother using HST to make QST -

When I did that with 4 repeats using the BLUE??? -

So I repeat -

A little experimenting -

With a fuzzy head probably wasn't the best idea -

But I did it anyway -

And called it PLAYTIME - LOL - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Gene Black said...

It is certainly interesting. I think the cut-off dog ears on the HST is the reason you get the hole in the center. But then you may have said that ....I am up way to early to go to an appointment.

Frog Quilter said...

Love the results of your playtime. So pretty.

Katie said...

I think the blocks using all the triangles are gorgeous! With something like a dark solid background to give your eye a place to rest, I think they'd make a wonderful, albeit bright, quilt! Maybe when you're feeling better they'll give you less of a headache? Or maybe my tolerance for bright is higher than yours...cause you've seen what I make! Or maybe the internet is toning it down so it's not so in your face? Whatever the case, glad to know your die cutter can also handle a pin...at least one it doesn't have to slice through!

Sherry said...

I love that fabric! The older I get the brighter my color choices are getting. LOL Must be the failing eyesight. LOL

Love what you are coming up with.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...