Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Borders on the GREEN top -


Have been added -

Ta Dah!! - ;))



I think that I have mentioned before that I don't "measure" my borders -

I tore length-wise strips and laid the two side border strips out in the middle of the quilt top -


Pinned one (straightened/trimmed) end to the top -

And smoothed them both out down the length of the quilt top to the other end -



Then trimmed them to the length of the quilt top - ;))


The torn strips have "fringe" where the edges raveled after being torn -

Some people choose to trim the "fringe" - which I probably would do if I were entering this quilt in a competition - but since that is not the case here - I didn't bother -

I simply flipped the quilt top over so that I could see which way the seams were going -

And lined up the edge of the quilt top right next to where the "fringe" ended - pinned it - and followed the edge of the quilt top with my 1/4" foot -


After easing in the slight difference in length -

And pinning generously to keep the corner square -


Sewed and pressed open both side borders -

Then did the same thing with the top and bottom borders -

Pinned one (straightened/trimmed) end to the border on the right hand side -

And smoothed them both out across the width of the quilt top to the other end -



Then trimmed them to the new width of the quilt top -

With both of the side borders added -

And sewed/pressed them - ;))


Here's a shot of the "fringe" showing past the 1/4" seam that was sewn - ;))


I'm playing with the backing now -

But haven't made much progress yet - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the greens and how they all play together.

Gene Black said...

I do my borders similarly. I find it to be just as accurate as all that "measuring/averaging" and mine is not wavy. either. I think the trick is pinning it while it is laying flat - because there is no stretch/pull and the pins prevent the feed dogs from easing in the bottom layer.

Sherry said...

Well, you are measuring. . .just not with a tape measure.

Sorry, I may be left handed, but I come from a family with a LOT of carpenters in it. LOL

I think your quilt is lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Barb said...

You do your borders the same way I do...every blue moon I might measure....I love green, this quilt is wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...