Monday, May 13, 2013

Design Wall Monday - 5/13/13

DESIGN WALL MONDAY - 5/13/13
Check out all of us who link up with Judy L. at Patchwork Times
on Mondays.
We have some awesome stuff on our walls!
Well, THEY do - ME - not so much sometimes - ;))
===


Testing - testing - testing - ;))

Been working on the borders -
For my Floral Applique -

I REALLY need to name this thing -

Any suggestions? - ;))

Anyway -

I tested the stitching -
And opted for a twin needle setting -
To better attach the two borders -
To each other -

The border will be LIGHT GRAY on the inner side -
And DARK GRAY on the outer side - ;))

I tested the color of thread -
The top thread - if you can see it at all - is WHITE -
The lower thread - if you can see it at all - is GRAY -

The top WHITE thread is lighter and more invisible -
In case I make a boo-boo -
So two “WHITE” threads it is - ;))



I tested the width and color of the “Vines” -
The “Vines” are hard to see against the DARK GRAY -
And the LIGHT GRAY background blends with the WHITE of the design wall -


But I tested two different colors of GREEN at a narrow width -
And a BLACK at a wider width -
Say that three times fast - ;))
You can't really see any of them -
But the BLACK won - ;))


I tested the colors of the leaves -
ORANGE - GREEN - GOLD -


What GREEN, you say? -

The one in the middle - ;))


Guess that one won’t be showing up -
On the DARK GRAY side -
Pun intended - ;))

But all three colors show up very nicely -
On the LIGHT GRAY side -


Now I need to fiddle with the size of the leaves -

They seem to be a little too big -

Next to the other leaves in the center block -

Maybe they need to be a bit smaller - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

Linda said...

It's lookin' good! I have no suggestions for a name but.... I think the leaves would look good if they were the same shape & size as the center leaves.
So that's my 2¢. FWIW.

Linda C said...

Decisions, decisions, right? But it looks like you are on the right track.

Naming it, it has such an autumnal vibe so how about something with fall or autumn in the name. Heck Autumn Leaves would work for me, LOL. Simple, basic. Fancy it up if it doesn't work for you, LOL.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Linda! - The "center" actually has about 65 different leaves with 12 of them in each of the "top center side blocks". I thought about - and have not yet ruled out - various groupings of those 12 leaves and/or the ones in the "bird's nest" block. If I'm not happy with the "assembly-line" version of leaves - I may try other combos - it's not like I don't have choices - haha - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Linda! - I have always referred to it simply as my "Floral Applique" - but that seems so "plain". Ellen's original quilt is called "Nature's Splendor" so I thought that I could call mine "Nature's Rainbow" because of the rainbow of colors that I used - but then I thought that anyone who saw the name would expect to see a quilt with an actual rainbow - so that probably wouldn't work. Maybe I should have a contest to name it if and when I ever get it done - ;))

Rhonda said...

OMG, you have done a lot of testing but it sure pays off for sure!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Rhonda - but I'm not done testing - stay tuned - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...