Saturday, June 20, 2020

Karma Churn Dash - test block -


After I showed you this photo yesterday -


I realized that I could switch them -

To "calm" it down a bit -

But not much -

Those red on white lines can make your eyes hurt - LOL -



Then - before I went too far -

I decided to find a "center" -

And sew one block together -

To make sure I remembered the MATH correctly -

And to show you again how I press a nine-patch -

The middle patch in the TOP row gets pressed IN -


The middle patch in the MIDDLE row gets pressed OUT -


The middle patch in the BOTTOM row gets pressed IN -


And the LAST SEAMS between the rows get pressed OUT -


That way -

The CENTER is pressed IN on two sides - in one direction -

And pressed OUT on two sides - in the other direction -

And all I have to do to NEST the seams -

When I sew one block to the next -

Is give one block a QUARTER turn -

Easy peasy - LOL - ;))

Block #1 -


And this block really isn't that bad up close - LOL - ;))


These blocks come out to 13" square -

And will finish at 12-1/2" in the quilt -

I think I have enough for 20 blocks -

So - a layout 4 x 5 -

Should be approximately 50" x 62-1/2" without borders or sashing - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



7 comments:

Katie said...

You do what makes you happy. If this quilt ha screaming loudly like a 70s print wallpaper and that makes you smile, then let it scream. And if it ends up awful, call it a learning experience and donate it and someone will likely snatch it up because it is unique. In the meantime, just try to pace yourself and not go blind from all the "fun" those prints contain!

Gene Black said...

That red and white fabric definitely "vibrates" visually doesn't it.
Good lesson on pressing a nine patch so it will always nest.

Barbara said...

Really pretty, one of my favorite block designs. I love your work, always, just often have a concentration problem early in the day following along. I’m noticing my brain cells aren’t as sharp as they used to be. On the downhill slide to 80 is showing up everywhere. 😝

Sherry said...

I love churn dash blocks. Your block turned out great.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

the churn dashes will be a lot more fun anyway

Cherie in St Louis said...

Great tip on the ironing! I lone that red lines on white fabric :)

Jeanna said...

These are going to make a nice size quilt. Love the way you swapped the fabrics.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...