Thursday, June 25, 2020

Karma Churn Dash -


This variation of the Churn Dash block is another favorite pattern - ;))

I first found it years ago -

A YouTube tutorial by Jenny Doan -
Missouri Star Quilt Company -
HERE -

She uses layer cakes and charm squares -

But I had some 2-1/2" strips and some charm packs -

So I had to adapt it a little -

But it still works the same - ;))

I must admit -

At first I was confused by the MATH -

The CORNER HST are trimmed to 4-1/2" square -

But the CENTER charm square is left at 5" square -


And the math geek in me thought something was wrong -
That couldn't possibly be right -

But it IS right -

And it's cool how it works -
Especially when you don't think it will - LOL - ;))

===

I made my blocks using four HST and two strip sets and a charm square -

These HST were made from charm squares - two GOLD and two BROWN -
The strips were already cut and left over from a failed attempt at another block -
The extra charm square is for the CENTER -


Jenny shows her method of making the HST from four charm squares -

But I made mine MY way - LOL -
I also used four charm squares -
But I put a GOLD one and a BROWN one right sides together -
Cut them diagonally - sewed them together - and made two matching sets -


Jenny used charm squares for the "bars" patch -

But I adapted that to use the 10-1/2" strips that I had from another project -
I sewed two sets to match the HST -
And pressed them to the BROWN -


Then I stacked them -
And cut them into segments 5" wide -


And got four pieces 4-1/2" tall by 5" wide -


The CENTER charm square is 5" square -
And is NOT trimmed -
It's left WHOLE -


The HST are then trimmed to 4-1/2" square -
Great chance to get rid of some PINKED edges - LOL -


SOOOOO -

My pea-brain HAD to ask -

How could it POSSIBLY work if the HST & CENTER are DIFFERENT sizes? -

SIMPLE -

The "bar" patches are as WIDE as the "center" charm square - 5" -


Arrange them around the charm square -


If I put them all up on the design wall -

It's easier to see that they are the SAME width -


The HST fit in the corners -
They are trimmed to 4-1/2" square -
Because the SEWN strip sets are only 4-1/2" high -


And it all WORKS -

Especially if you JUST DO IT -

And don't OVERTHINK it -

Like I always do - LOL - ;))

So here's Block #11 -



There's more to come -

So stay tuned - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I can see why you were confused. But when I saw how she did the bar sections, I knew why it would work.

Jeanna said...

The MSQC tutorial is great and I love your variation of it. I also appreciate you explaining the math...LOL. You know how I struggle with it sometimes.

Cindy Quilts said...

Good tutorial. Good explanation of your work.
Looking forward to seeing these all put together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...