Monday, June 8, 2020

Next up -


THANK YOU you for your kind comments on my Batik Bento Box quilt top - ;))

Wanda Hansen of Exuberant Color was kind enough to email me a photo of a batik quilt that she made - and then I found her mini tutorial - HERE -

I like her method of starting with a square - sewing rounds - then cutting it into quarters -

Her way seems much faster -

And eliminates the problem of sewing pieces to the wrong side - LOL - ;))

I thought I might try a variation of her method -

And if my MATH is correct -

I think I can make 10" finished blocks -

Starting with charm squares (5") -

And using some pre-cut strips whole (2-1/2") and some cut in half (1-1/4") -

So I chose a matching set of charm squares and a jelly roll -

Benatrex - Karma - that I think is no longer available -



And sorted the strips by color first -


There aren't many "lights" or "darks" -


So I sorted them by "value" -



And shuffled a couple -


And then realized that I wasn't playing with a full deck - LOL - ;))


So I added them in - and tried it again -


Looks like a couple of the yellow/gold ones can go in the right/light pile -

But it's only a jelly roll - so it won't be "perfect" -

And "value" is relative - so I should be OK -

As long as there is SOME contrast in each block - ;))


Now I have to play with the MATH -

To figure out what lengths to cut the strips -

And to see how many blocks I can make -

So stay tuned - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



3 comments:

Gene Black said...

It will be interesting to see how this one comes together for you. I think that I prefer the method we used previously, if I were making another one.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think your math is right for 10" blocks too. Thanks for the link to my blog. Good luck and have fun!

Jeanna said...

And another fun one under way! You are on a roll. Keep it going.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...