Sunday, January 23, 2022

Antique Squirrel - Unit B -

 
 
The second unit needed for my Antique Squirrel
 
Is a three-strip "bar" or "Rail Fence" unit -
 
The strips are cut at 1-1/2" wide - 
 
By whatever length of scrap you have - 
 
But the scrap should be at least 3-1/2" long - ;))
 
===
 
I cut a bunch of 1-1/2" strips - 
 
And laid them out on my ironing board - 
 
Roughly by the length of the strip - 
 
 
Then I chose three strips of roughly the same length - 
 
And sewed them together - 
 
Pressed the seams in one direction -

 
Took them to the cutting mat - 
 
And laid them out so that I could cut "with" the seams - 
 
Sometimes I cut with the seams showing - 
 
So that I am sure to cut in the same direction - 
 
Anyway - 
 
Sub-cut the strip sets into 3-1/2" segments -  

And save the scraps for another project - 

Un-sewing any strip longer than 3-1/2" - 
 
And adding it back into the mix -

 
I cut several strip sets - 
 
And chose four at random - 
 
For the "middles" - 
 
And laid out a "kitchen sink" block - LOL - 
 
I have NOT sewn the block together yet - 

 
If you flip the "Units" over - 
 
You can see that there are no seams to match from one unit to the next -

 
You will have to match the seams BETWEEN the units - 
 
But that's it - 
 
And if you turn the "bar" Unit B - 
 
So that the TOP one has the seams going to the LEFT - 

 
The one on the LEFT has the seams going DOWN - 

 
The one on the BOTTOM has the seams going to the RIGHT - 

 
And the one on the RIGHT has the seams going UP - 

 
All of the "bar" Unit Bs will have the seams going around in a circle - 
 
Counter-clockwise - 
 
Making it easy to nest the seams from block to block -  
 
Because the seams on the TOP block will be going UP - 
 
And the seams on the BOTTOM block will be going DOWN - 
 
As the two blocks go under the needle - 

 
The corners of each block will not nest - 
 
Unless you want to get fancy with the pressing - 
 
And may get a bit bulky - 
 
But I don't really want to mess with getting fancy - 
 
So I'll leave those alone - 

 
I can think of a couple of different ways to assemble this block - 
 
And will share those - 
 
When I get there - LOL - 
 
Right now - 
 
I want to experiment with a "controlled" version of this block - 
 
I know that the original was the "kitchen sink" variety - 
 
But I think that their scrap stash may have been somewhat limited - 
 
Mine is not - 
 
I have LOTS of scraps - 
 
In all colors - 
 
So - 
 
The question is - 
 
Do I want it to look like a jumbled mess - 
 
Or do I want to limit my color palette? - 
 
I'm leaning toward limiting the colors - 
 
A jumbled mess might give me a headache - LOL - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 

 

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I love the scrappy fabrics and the layout is prefect! I’m now seeing something familiar.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love scraps, I love variety, but some part of me loves control, go figure.

Gene Black said...

I think making it scrappy, but still limiting the color palette -at least in each block or set of blocks - would make it really fun. Plus, it would still look controlled.

Katie said...

Oh, looking good! I'm with you on too much scrappy giving one a headache. Yay for abundant scraps!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...