Thursday, January 14, 2016

Another test block -


For the New Year I "cut and kitted" up some projects from my stash - ;))

The Layer Cake -
Double Chocolat - 3 Sisters - Moda
Is slowly become a Basic Math Quilt -
Moda Bake Shop - Original Recipe - by Debbie Grifka -
HERE - ;))



Then I had a bunch of Mill House Inn -
By Joanna Figueroa, Fig Tree & Co for Moda
-

A Layer Cake -
Two Charm Packs -
And one Turnover - ;))


The Turnover was perfect for the Choc-O-Cherry Turnover Treat -
Moda Bake Shop - Original Recipe - by Monica Solorio-Snow -
HERE - ;))


I have the blocks made but I'm not sure yet how I want to lay them out - ;))


The Charm Packs may wind up being coasters -
Haven't decided yet - ;))

But the Squirrel I mentioned the other day is the Layer Cake -
Destined for a Churn Dash Pinwheel -
Missouri Star Quilt Co -
Disappearing Pinwheel Part 2 - The Churn Dash Pinwheel -
HERE - ;))

Before I cut into the Layer Cake -

I watched the video again -

And I cut the pieces for a test block from some 10" squares I had on hand - ;))


They now have 5 variations for this Disappearing Pinwheel -

Cool!! - ;))

But here again - the outside edges of this block are all on the bias -

And I am NOT a fan of outside bias edges - ;))

That's one reason I don't like the Twister Ruler -

Perfectly square blocks are re-cut on the bias and then resewn together -

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me -

I would rather have the bias seams on the INSIDE of the block -

But then again - it's probably just me - ;))

Anyway -

This block and its variations are really fun -

BUT -

Now I have to decide whether I want to make one of the bias edge versions -

Or a straight edge Churn Dash Block like I did before - ;))



The Disappearing Pinwheel version is more interesting -

But it's those dang bias edges that get me -

And yet they don't seem to bother Jenny (Missouri Star Quilt Co.) at all -

She uses it to her advantage saying that the "give" makes it easier to match the seams - ;))

Maybe she's right - ;))

But for now - it's decisions, decisions - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

  1. So glad I grabbed a minute to look in, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this post.
    I don't sew by machine so probably those bias edges would be easier to assemble, but as they get near the edge, they begin to be a problem. Of course it might just be me and my right brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you grabbed a minute, too. I've been thinking a lot about you and your husband lately - I sure hope he is doing better.

      My experience with bias edges has been that they are so "delicate" that they get all wonky by the time I get the top together - unless I sash each block with something on the straight-of-grain to contain the wonkiness. (Is that a word??) I'm so glad that it's not just me and my right brain - ;))

      Delete
  2. The bias edge can be an interesting thing. One reason for using bias binding is the stretch factor - there is enough give to round those corners. But if you worry about stretching the blocks out of shape, remember that a good heavy starch on the fabric before you start will stabilize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that - KatieM and I were having a conversation the other day on using starch on the bias edges - I'll tell you the same thing I told her -

      I realized one day when I was spraying starch on some pieces that I had "pre-washed" the fabric to get the sizing out of it - should have left it alone - wouldn't have had to use as much starch - ;))

      Delete
  3. I did an entire quilt using the disappearing pin wheel - I won't do it again.... Actually, it made a very pretty quilt, but I guess I didn't starch enough - those edges drove me crazy! I guess these 'disappearing' blocks are supposed to save time to give you a more intricate looking quilt, but I'm still on the fence as to how much I like them (or not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! - I'm afraid those edges would drive me crazy, too! - I may try a little table runner first - maybe three blocks long - to see if I can get them to come right - before I commit to a full-blown quilt - ;))

      Delete

I love reading your comments -
they let me know that I'm not just talking to myself - ;))

FYI - I have always restricted comments to “Registered User” - and I have always moderated my comments - and I will continue to do so. I like to read your comments before I publish them - and I DO publish ALL of them - whether you agree with me or not. The only ones that I DO NOT publish are the “buy-me” and "spam" crap.

So - if you want to leave a comment but don’t like your word verification choice - hit the little arrow thingy to the right of the box until you find one that you DO like. I can’t always read them either but word verification is there for a reason and I refuse to be bullied into taking it off - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...