Wednesday, July 18, 2012

LHQSQ - Blocks - 39 - 44 - PREP


Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============


More 6” sampler blocks -

That you can make using -

2-1/2” squares -

HST that FINISH at 2” -

Strips - cut 1-1/2” x 2-1/2” -

4-Patches that FINISH at 2" -

And QST that FINISH at 2” -

Three across and three down -

Variations of the basic NINE-PATCH -

The sewn block will MEASURE 6-1/2” -

And FINISH at 6” -

===

This next group of blocks -

Needs a bunch of QST units -

Light/medium -

Light/dark -

Medium/dark -

So I thought that I would use Triangulations -
Like I did - here -

And make a bunch to play with -

Just make sure that you print out the QST ones that will FINISH at 2” -
12 QST squares per page -
24 QST units per page -

Then I pulled a dark - a medium - and a light -
From my stash -

And a couple of sheets of Triangulations -


And made these -


On the striped one -
Four were different -
20 went across -
4 went down -


So I went back to the sheet -
To see what happened -

And they all go the same direction -
EXCEPT the two on the top -
And the two on the bottom -
I marked them with an “X” -


Gotta watch that with stripes -

Anyway -

Pressed them all open -
All ready to match up -


Matched them -

AND -

Do see anything wrong?


Top right -
The medium/dark and light/dark is OK -

Bottom left -
The light/medium and light/dark is OK -

But -

Top left -
The medium/dark and the light/medium -
When matched -
Have the medium sides touching -

CRAP!!

But - you wanna know a trick??

If you want one “unit” to switch sides -

Sew it on the OTHER side - ;))


Watch -

I paired two 1-1/2” strips -

A light and a medium -

And - using the Companion Angle -
By Darlene Zimmerman -

Cut a test set -

Lined up the ruler at the 2” line -


Remember what I said -

About the fabric on the TOP -

As you sew it -

Being on the RIGHT side -

When you open it up? -

Take a look at one of the Triangulation sets -

The paper is on the side next to the LIGHT -

And you can see the seam line on the BOTTOM LEFT -

So if you flip it over -

It is actually getting sewn -

With the MEDIUM on top -

So when you open it up -

The MEDIUM is on the RIGHT side -


WHAT IF -

I sewed on the OTHER SIDE of the triangle -
That would switch the side the MEDIUM was on -
Right??


Top row - sew BOTTOM RIGHT side of the triangle -
Bottom row - sew TOP RIGHT side of the triangle -
NOW it will match a medium/dark unit - ;))


Anyway -

I made a bunch the OTHER way -

Pressed them all open -
Matched them up -


And - if I leave the paper on -
Until I get them together -


They come out -
Right ON! - ;))


So -

That should get me started -

But I don't know yet -

Which ones I need to match -

Or what other "puzzle pieces" I need -

So I won't sew any of them together -

Until I get there - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



1 comment:

Linda C said...

Different colorways than last time but getting those pieces prepped! How clever of you.

Looking for my companion angle deal---ah, there it is! Right with the Easy Angle II, LOL.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...