Thursday, July 26, 2012

LHQ - Review - Ruler - Short Cut (TM)

LEFT-HANDED QUILTING - Review - ShortCut™

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

Today I want to show you a REALLY cool little ruler -

That Left-Handed Quilters can use - hassle-free - ;))

My kind of ruler!! ;))

But first -

Disclaimer -
I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer or supplier of this product - to my knowledge.
I did not get this product for FREE in exchange for a review - aka barter. I paid for it.
I have no intention of slandering or libeling anyone or any product.
I am simply stating my opinions - I could be wrong - you may disagree.
My opinions are based on my experience with this product - your results may vary.
I think that about covers it - if I missed something - let me know.
I am not a lawyer - and I am just trying to cover my a$$. ;)).
===

I’ve talked about and shown this ruler before - here -

But I don’t think that I ever actually did a REVIEW -
So here it is -


Mine is called the
SHORT CUT (TM)
Made by June Tailor, Inc.
http://www.junetailor.com/index.htm

Now it’s called a Shape Cut (TM) -
So that’s how OLD mine is!! ;))

Description -
Mine is 12” x 12” -
With slots every 1/2” for cutting

Where you can get it - 

You should check your Local Quilt Shop and your favorite suppliers -
As prices do vary - and some items may be on sale - or not - ;))

June Tailor - here -

Some other sites that may or may not have stuff are -
JoAnn
Nancy's Notions
Clotilde

What I LIKE about this ruler -

The LARGE easy-to-read numbers around the edges -
The fact that the numbers read 0-1-2-3-4-5-6 from LEFT to RIGHT -
And from BOTTOM to TOP

What I DON’T like about this ruler -

Nothing comes to mind - ;))

How I use it to cut my sashings -

Layout to cut sashings -
0 - 12 from left to right -


The sashing strips will be cut - 1-1/2” x 6-1/2”

I put a little bit of purple highlighter tape -
On the slots every 1-1/2” -
1-1/2 - 3 - 4-1/2 - 6 - 7-1/2 - 9 - 10-1/2 - and 12
Because I have cut in the wrong slot on occasion -
And the visual reminder helps with that - ;))


I line up a heavy HORIZONTAL - CROSS line with the edge of the fabric -
And a line on my cutting mat -

I line up the VERTICAL slots with the lines on my cutting mat -

The “teardrop” cut-out should be centered over the corners of the markings -


The “teardrop” shape allows for my rotary cutter to “engage” -
I use the blue Dritz kind that is “pressure-sensitive” -



As a Lefty -
I usually measure and rotary cut from RIGHT to LEFT -
But - after I straightened the edge at the "0" slot -
The FIRST strip is just easier for me to cut at the 6-1/2” mark -
Than it is to do the math - to figure out which slot to use -
If I were to count from the right side -
Yeah - even I avoid math sometimes - ;))


Now to sub-cut that strip into 1-1/2” strips -
Turn the strip so that it goes sideways -
And - starting at the RIGHT end -
Cut in each of the marked slots -
Including the last slot to trim the RIGHT edge -



Slick - huh?

And - yeah - they DO measure 1-1/2” x 6-1/2”


Would I recommend this ruler to other Left-Handed Quilters?
YES



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -





1 comment:

Linda C said...

Glad that is making easier cutting for a left handed quilter. I prefer not to use one but that is my choice. I know cutting can be a challenge for some folks, left AND right handed. I am thankful that till my eyesight goes, it is not a problem for me.

What I DO use that is similar is actually one for marking grid lines for cross hatching etc----and I am going to borrow that highlight the 1/2 inch thing as I DID mess up marking a wall hanging recently. Of course it was not seen until that was the last line to quilt-----do I leave a bigger gap than the rest or try to center a line in between. I left it as a reminder to be more careful the next time I use it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...