Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The binding is made -


And I've decided that I need to measure out 4-1/2" from the "ditch" line on the outermost "units". The ruler is 5" wide and the line just outside the outer edge of the fabric is the 4-1/2" line. That little bit of batting showing at the edge should be just enough to "fully stuff" the binding and make sure that the folded edge doesn't chop off any of my corners. "Should be" is the key phrase in that last sentence - ;))


So - flip it over - find the "ditch" seam - and mark my line on the back - ;))


After the lines are marked - I'll take it to the sewing machine that is set up with the walking foot and the big tables - the same machine that I use to "ditch" quilt -

I'll line up the raw edge of the binding with the chalk line - sew it on with the walking foot - which is a 3/8" seam - then trim the quilt even with the binding - fold the binding to the front - and top-stitch it down with a decorative blanket stitch -

At least that's the plan - ;))

I haven't decided if I want to add corner squares or a sleeve to it yet. I didn't add them to the Thanksgiving Churn Dash which came out to 36" x 36" - thinking I would use it as a table topper - but this one is 48" x 48" - so maybe I should - ;))

I think I'll sleep on it and decide before I attach the binding - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



1 comment:

Gene Black said...

I have never even considered sewing on the binding BEFORE trimming. That is an idea I will think about. I can see how it would solve a few potential problems.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...