Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Bound -

 
 
My Harmonic Convergence -
 
Is bound - 
 
Ta Dah!! - ;))
 
 
With my favorite "flange binding" method - 
From a Youtube video by Jordan Fabrics - HERE

 
Top left - 

 
Top right - 
I LOVE the "swirlies" in this corner - 

 
Center - 

 
Bottom left - 

 
Bottom right - 

 
Back - 

 
I thought that I was in trouble - 

When I looked at the ends to be "joined" - 

I had a seam close to the end on the right one - 

And a long tail on the left one - 
 
And they didn't match up -

 
But then I realized that it would be OK - 
 
The "flange" is joined separately from the "main" binding - 
 
So I un-sewed the "main" binding at the seam close to the end -  

Since it seemed the most logical separation point -

 
Measured 1/2" for the overlap - 

 
Remembered to put the end that I was going to "cut" on TOP of the ruler - 
 
And double-checked that I would have an overlap and NOT a gap - LOL - 

 
Before I cut the top piece at the end of the ruler - 

 
Sewed those two ends together - 
 
And finger-pressed the seam open - 

 
Then laid out the "flange" pieces - 
 
With a 1/2" overlap - 

 
And cut the top piece - 

 
Sewed those two ends together - 
 
And finger-pressed the seam open - 

 
Then sewed the two bindings back together - 


Pressed them all nice and neat - 

 
And had a very FLAT and virtually invisible "join" -
 

This "flange binding" is my favorite method -
 
Sewn entirely by machine - 
 
And looking "fancy" - 
 
With that little bit of color - 
 
Peeking out at the edge -  



If you haven't tried it yet - 

I recommend that you do - 
 
I'm pretty sure you will like it - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

7 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

It really came out nicely. I know I could never make a machine behave that well... (and I probably couldn't get my hands to behave that nicely either).

Gene Black said...

I do mine a bit differently, but I may try that method the next time I did a flange binding.

Cherie in St Louis said...

I’ve tried the flange binding and it’s wonderful! A bit time consuming to make two long strips and sew them together but not as long as hand sewing binding down ;-). Love the look. Your quilt is beautiful!

Barbara said...

It’s simply beautiful!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Uh oh, the last time I watched a Jordan fabrics video it got me into trouble with a pretty expensive delivery ensuing. I do love the flange bindings! Yours came out terrific. I always think it is a big plus when there is no hand sewing required.

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on the beautiful flanged binding. No one will know about the 'modification' unless you tell them...which, I suppose, you just did LOL

Sue said...

The flange binding looks fabulous. I've popped a note in with a wall hanging in the making to remind me to do that method.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...