Wednesday, May 11, 2022

U/D - Pastel Brights - Set #1 done -

 
 
OK - 
 
I was going to show you how I sorted the strips for SETS #5-6-7-8 - 
 
But I sat down to sew a couple of strata - 
 
And before I knew it - 
 
I had the first set of blocks - 
 
For my Upstairs/Downstairs - Pastel Brights sewn - 
 

And then I thought that this post could be an "all-in-one" tutorial - 

On how I make these -
Except for the layout - that will come later - 
Because I can't show you that until I finish making ALL of the blocks - LOL -
 
Anyway - to backtrack a little - 
 
I pulled out SET #1 from its baggie - 
(Sorted yesterday on THIS post) -

 
Strips for TWO strata - 
 
Five strips in each strata - 
 
Same order - identical strata - 

Enough for SIX identical blocks - 

 
And laid them out on my ironing board - 
 
Since I will be sewing BOTH strata at the same time - 
 
In order - both BLUE - both YELLOW - both GREEN - both PURPLE - both PINK -  

Linda - Art in Search -  is going to use BLUE as her "main diagonal" -

So hers are in order already -

 
I'm going to use YELLOW as my "main diagonal" - 
 
So I moved the BLUE one to the other side on the right -  

That way - the colors are still in the same order as hers - 
 

Linda will be joining her strata - in her order - this way -

 
I'll be joining mine this way - 
 
And will be showing you "my way" - 
 
Now - because I have BOTH strips - for BOTH strata -
 
I can sew the GREEN ones to the YELLOW ones - 
 
And the BLUE ones to the PINK ones - 
 
Chain-piecing - one right after the other - 
 
 
Then I can clip off the YELLOW/GREEN ones - 
 
And add the PURPLE ones - 
 


 
Then - by that time - I can clip off the PINK/BLUE ones - 
 
And add them to the YELLOW/GREEN/PURPLE ones - 
 

 
And I have BOTH strata sewn at the same time - 
 
 
PRESSING - IMPORTANT -
 
Press the MIDDLE strip OUT - 
 
And the END ones OUT -  


 
Label BOTH of the strata with the same label as the baggie - 
 
Until you decide to cut them - 
 
 
I sewed and pressed SET #1 and SET #2 - 
 
 
And then decided to go ahead and cut SET #1 for this post - 
 
So I laid out both strata on my die cutter - 

And staggered them a bit - 

And sub-cut them into 2-1/2" segments - 
 

 
And laid those out on my ironing board - 
 
Five piles of SIX - for SIX identical blocks - 
 
 
Some people like to sew the strata into "tubes" first - 
 
And THEN cut them - 
 
But I find that my accuracy is much better if I cut them FIRST - 
 
The trade-off then - is that I have to sew them into "tubes" individually - 
 
But I don't find that to be a problem - 
 
It's easy - mindless - and I'm more accurate on shorter seams anyway - LOL - 
 
SO - 
 
The first SIX are already the way I want them - 
 
So they stay put - 
 
 
The other 24 were taken to the sewing machine - 
 
And sewn into "tubes" - 
 
 
Chain-piecing - one right after the other - 
 
 
And - I won a game of "bobbin chicken" - LOL - 
 
I ran out of thread right after I sewed this one - 
 
 
Anyway - all of the tubes were sewn - 
 
 
And clipped apart - 
 
And  put into four piles of SIX - for the SIX blocks - 
 
 
Each tube was separated at the spot needed for the "stair-step" effect - 
 
Like a "Trip Around The World" block - 
 
 
Once I found the "correct" spot - 
 
 
I adjusted the other tubes to correspond - 
 
And "chain-un-sewed" them - at the same spot -
 
 
And un-sewed the rest of the tubes the same way - 
 
 
One thing that I find interesting - 
 
Is that I am NOT locked into - 
 
Having the YELLOW as my "main diagonal" at this point - 
 
I can easily make BLUE the "main diagonal" - 
 
By moving the YELLOW one to the last one on the right - 
 
 
Or move the BLUE one over and make the PINK one the "main" - 
 
 
Or move the PINK one over and make the PURPLE one the "main" - 
 
 
Or move the PURPLE one over and make the GREEN one the "main" - 
 

Or move the GREEN one over and make the YELLOW the "main diagonal" again -

 
Anyway - before we sew these together - 

We need to PRESS them -
 
IMPORTANT - 

The YELLOW or MAIN DIAGONAL gets pressed OUT - 
 
In Column #1 - 3 - 5 - 
The patches at the TOP - MIDDLE - BOTTOM are pressed OUT - 
 
In Column #2 - 4 - 
The SECOND and FOURTH patches are pressed OUT -  

This helps the seams nest when we get to sewing the blocks together - 

 
Now I sew the block together - 
 
The same way I sewed the strata together - 
 
The first two get sewn together - 

The last two get sewn together - 

 

 
Then the third one gets sewn to the first two - 
 
 
And - finally - 
 
The last two get sewn to the first three - 
 
 And you have your block - 

Times SIX -
 
The blocks gets pressed like so - 
 
The SECOND and FOURTH columns get pressed OUT - 
 
 
 
SIX blocks - 
 
 
I put the label back on the stack of blocks - 
 
 
And put the stack on my cookie sheet - 
 
Where it can wait for its friends -
 


Tomorrow I'll show you and Linda - 

How I sorted the strips for SETS #5-6-7-8 - ;))
 
 
 
Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - 
 

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

Wow, that is a lot of information in one post. Great tutorial.

Jeanna said...

Love this tutorial. You do a great job in explaining & photographing each step.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Stratas sewn and pressed, but not cut. Horsin' around with the horse quilt. Takes all my concentration.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...