Wednesday, March 27, 2013

SPAM or NOT SPAM?? -

So I can’t decide -

Is this SPAM or NOT SPAM?? -
Hi, I just got one of these machines and I am a beginner. Thank you for your helpful instructions on how to remove the bobby. Can you also show how to thread the machine? I am trying and cannot figure that out. Thanks. on LHQ - Sewing Machine Question
This was a comment in my “Awaiting moderation” folder -
I omitted the name and contact information of the sender - on purpose - ;))

And - as I say in my header to the “Comment” section -
I love reading your comments -
they let me know that I’m not just talking to myself - ;))

FYI - I have always restricted comments to “Registered User” - and I have always moderated my comments - and I will continue to do so. I like to read your comments before I publish them - and I DO publish ALL of them - whether you agree with me or not. The only ones that I DO NOT publish are the “buy-me” and "spam" crap.

So - if you want to leave a comment but don’t like your word verification choice - hit the little arrow thingy to the right of the box until you find one that you DO like. I can’t always read them either but word verification is there for a reason and I refuse to be bullied into taking it off - ;))
I can’t decide whether to delete it or not -
Because I can’t decide if this is SPAM or NOT SPAM -

On the one hand -
It could be a legitimate comment -
Asking for help on threading the machine -
The commenter did get past the word verification -

BUT on the other hand -

The post is dated July 2011 -
That’s almost two years ago -
And - if I didn’t moderate my comments -
I would NEVER have seen this one -

AND -

That particular sewing machine is one of my oldest -
So I doubt seriously that the commenter “just got one” -

AND -

I have no idea what a "bobby" is -
I'm pretty sure I said "bobbin" in the post -
If you're a beginner - it helps if you learn the names of things -

AND -

The sender is a “no-reply” commenter -
So I can’t answer the question directly -

AND -

When I checked the profile -
There was VERY little information -
“On Blogger since March 2013” - Today???
“Profile pageviews - 1” - Mine???

So -

I’m leaning toward SPAM -

What do you guys think? - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



13 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

It looks suspicious to me. You can't reply if it is a no-answer anyway, so I'd say spam.

Mallorie Anderson said...

I'd say not spam. It didn't say the machine is new, just that they recently got one. There's no shame in purchasing a used machine, especially as a beginner just learning what you like/want in one. This person could have googled the info they were looking for and one of your older posts came up (been there done that lol). Since it didn't request you buy or click on anything and just asked for info I would call it legit.

Katie M. said...

I'm with you - I'd lean toward spam also... And if this is someone who's just joined the world of blogging and likes your posts - maybe she/he will read this one and comment???

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Julie - if it is legit, I would have to answer by writing a post with photos to show how to do it - but if it is SPAM, I don't really want to waste that much time - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Mallorie - you're right - and I did get a "hit" in the "search" section that day with the Model Number and Brand of the sewing machine - that's why I can't decide and think that it might just be legit - ;))

By the way - you are still coming up as a "no-reply" commenter - so I'm posting my reply to your comment here - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Katie - I thought the same thing - that's why I decided to post this and ask you guys. I'm hoping that the commenter will read it and leave another comment - I can't reach her/him any other way - ;))

Linda said...

Well... not that I'm an expert on Spam or no Spam (heehee) but from what you just described... this one seems real. You said you did describe a "bobbin" in that post....so sounds like this person has actually read your post and is commenting. As to the "bobby" vs "bobbin" ....perhaps this person does not live in the US and that's what they call them there. And one more point .... why would a spammer post on something about TWO years old. There's no benefit to that for them.
And if there's no link to click on then for sure that's not spam. Isn't that what they do best? Want you to click it?
So since you asked... that's my 2 cents. lol

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

See why I can't decide??? If the commenter is for real - and she/he is reading this - please leave me another comment and I will try to work up a post to answer your question - ;))

Linda C said...

HMMM there are possible reasons for a response on an old post---I have had it happen because of google searches such as on my iron cover tutorial or the tshirt quilts. BUT often our first instinct is on target.

The no reply blogger thing can happen too when you switch over to google plus. A new signee is most certainly in the category. I know from hooking up my mom and my husband to gmail. Mallorie above might be helped by two links I have found

http://www.pleasant-home.com/2010/12/so-exciting-less-no-reply-bloggers.html

and http://jenniffier.blogspot.com/2012/08/google-profile.html

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Linda - especially for the links. Mallorie and I have discussed the "no-reply" issue since she switched to Google+ - neither of us knows how to fix it - so I will send her the links in case she doesn't read/see this comment - ;))

Mallorie Anderson said...

Thanks Linda for the links, I think they helped (well find out with this post hopefully). Also, Thanks so much Left-Handed Quilter for sending me the links, I had not infact checked back her yet! (P.S. On a completely unrelated side-note is there something else I can address you as? Left-handed quilter, while a great blog name, just seems so impersonal when talking on a regular basis.)<--- also that would be a good answer to send via e-mail as a blogger test run!! Okay, I'll stop rambling now. I'm just excited to hopefully have this fixed :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

YES - it works!! You come up as Everyday Quilter instead of by your name - but you are no longer a "no-reply" commenter - and I can "reply" directly without going through all of the hoops.

And to answer your question - and to all of those out there who think that I have no name - check out the "Lefties" page/tab on my blog - I'm the first one listed - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Since I STILL can't decide whether or not the comment was SPAM - but because Mallorie made some good points - I decided to publish the comment. And since I am unable to reach the commenter - due to the "no-reply" issue - I published my answer to the question there - and will post it here as well - ;))

===

July 2011 - LHQ - Sewing Machine Question

Assuming that is a legitimate question - and not SPAM -
here is a link to a site where you can download a copy of the manual for the 1777 White Jeans Machine -

http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/PictPage/3923929708.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...