Wednesday, June 1, 2011

May UFO #9 - Update

MAY UFO #9 - UPDATE -

For May - Judy picked #9 - which translated to my Stage 9 Projects –

Here’s the updated status of that category -

Stage 9.  Cut/Basted for Hawaiian Applique - Pillowtops - etc.
1.    Hibiscus - red on white – to Stage 2 – 5/31/11
2.    Ulu - green on muslin – to Stage 6 – 5/31/11
3.    Pineapple - green on muslin – to Stage 7 – 5/31/11
4.    Hibiscus - dark yellow on light yellow – to Stage 1 - 5/31/11
5.    Ginger - red on white
6.    Stephanotis - black on white
7.    Woodland Lei - peach on rust batik – to Stage 7 – 5/31/11


This week I worked on Stage 9 - #3.  Pineapple – green on muslin - 

Last month status -
Hand-basted for hand applique
Needs to be redone for machine appliqué – fusible interfacing?

Last week status -
I removed the hand basting and pin basted it to some fusible interfacing.

This week –
I needed to stitch around it - slowly - turn it inside out - and fuse it to a background square.
First I marked the corners ¼” in so I knew where to pivot when I stitched around the appliqué.


Then I turned it inside out – and it looked horrible!  The seam allowances were way too bulky. 
(And if it looks just a bit obscene - I apologize - but please remember that it's not MY pattern!)


I decided to turn it inside out again – trim the seam allowances down - and to try again


Not really much difference - but the pineapples do seem to be a bit rounder - and not as pointy in the middle- so I pinned it -and tried to get it to lay flat


I figured that it was about as good as it was going to get - so I pressed it – and fused it to the background square


Here’s a close-up – kinda lumpy in spots – and the pin marks show – but it will have to do –
it’s fused now – and it ain’t gonna come off for a redo!


I still need to machine appliqué it – maybe it’ll look better then.  Just have to wait and see.

So – the updated status of this group is –

1.    Hibiscus – red on white - needs a label and the story – Stage 2
2.    Ulu - green on muslin - block is done – needs borders – etc. – Stage 6
3.    Pineapple - green on muslin - block needs to be machine appliqued  - Stage 7
4.    Hibiscus - dark yellow on light yellow - needs the story – Stage 1
5.    Ginger - red on white - block needs to be redone for machine appliqué – Stage 9
6.    Stephanotis - black on white - block needs to be redone for machine appliqué – Stage 9
7.    Woodland Lei - peach on rust batik - block needs to be machine appliquéd – Stage 7

I may wait until #3 - #5 - #6 – join #2 in Stage 6 – then put them all together into one four-square wall hanging.   (#7 is batik – it is the odd-man out so it won’t be joining them.)

Bottom line – out of SEVEN – I managed to move FIVE of them to another stage.

PROGRESS!  (I’ll take it any way I can get it!)

======

This morning Judy picked #8 for June -

#8 - which translates to my Stage 8 Projects - 

Stage 8.  Cut/Basted for Hawaiian Applique - Wallhangings - etc.
  • Woodland Lei - wallhanging - stone blue on white
  • Iris - wallhanging - white on blue
  • Breadfruit - wallhanging - stone blue on white
  • Hibiscus - wallhanging - red on white
  • Hibiscus - wallhanging - pink on white
  • Hibiscus - wallhanging - red on white

OH CRAP!!



Talk to you later – gotta go – gotta sew –

2 comments:

JCnNC said...

My favorite rule is "iron it into submission." Always works for me. Lovely block. Judy C in NC

BetsyE said...

Nice job on forward progress!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...