Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Two Question Tuesday - 5/31/11

Two Question Tuesday – 5/31/11

Here's the deal - I really liked Mama M.'s Five Question Friday - but that's just too many questions for me.  So I'm going to do my version - and without the linky thingy.

I'll ask two questions and then give you my answers.  If you want to play - you can give me your answers in the comment section.  If you have a blog and would rather answer them there - just leave a link to your blog instead.  I don't know how to do the "Linky" thing like Mama M. yet - and to be honest - I would rather sew than find out - so I'll do it this way until I figure it out.
==========

Two questions for you this Tuesday -

1.  Are you a crier?
2.  Pre-wash or not?

==========

1.  Are you a crier?
No.  Not usually.  Sometimes I will tear up when I watch a movie – but that doesn’t happen very often.

2.  Pre-wash or not?
It depends.  A couple of years ago I went through my entire stash and washed – pressed – and folded every square inch.  So all of my long-term stash is pre-washed.  But I do not pre-wash anything that comes pre-cut – 5" charms - 10” squares – or "jelly rolls".  I do pre-wash fat quarters.  And I do not mix my pre-washed and not.  It’s all or nothing.  If I have scraps from a "jelly roll" project that were not pre-washed – I will put them in a lingerie bag and wash them – then sort – press – and cut them up for my scrap bins.

One extra note - I have seen projects where the instructions specifically say not to pre-wash the fat quarters before you cut them.  Because - if they are pre-washed – they may shrink – and you may not be able to cut the proper size patch or cut the correct number of pieces.

Huh?? 

Silly me – if the fabric is going to shrink – AT ALL - I want it to shrink BEFORE I cut it - not AFTER it's all sewn together!

==========

OK - your turn.



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

4 comments:

Marian said...

I cry about everything, but always in private, and I prewash EVERYTHING, so I don't have to cry about what happened to the quilt in the wash! Been there and done that.

Katie M. said...

#1. Crier? For the most part, no. But when I get emotional over my kids - yep! I guess I can happily say most of those tears have been happy ones.
#2. Prewash? Always. I have never, ever bought precut bundles. The FQ's I have were because of a swap I was in and they're washed before storing.

Margie said...

#1.My husband and I are both criers,as are all my children.
#2.Most of my stuff is prewashed. If I am making a wallhanging and buy fabric expressly for that then I may not wash it. I have a friend that is an insanely productive quilter. She never prewahes anything and puts "dry clean only" instructions with her quilts.

Rose said...

Yep, I'm an ugly crier, but I try my best to do it in the privacy of my own home. I use to tell people that I cried at ribbon cuttings.

Yes, I wash yardages, but not pre-cuts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...