Thursday, May 5, 2011

Picasa - One Last Post

OK - this is the last post on Picasa Web Albums - then I'm dropping the whole subject.

If you don't think you have a Picasa Web Album and find out later that you actually do -
I reserve the right to say, "I told you so!"

Check out these links - you might find them interesting -

1.  Google Storage: How it Works - 

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=39567

2.  Is there a way to blog on blogger without having every picture I post get uploaded to picasa?

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=2ce9a0d36550b38b&hl=en

And my personal favorite -

3.  Trying to recover space on my blog by deleting old posts, why isn't it working?

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=12ca129d89f755af&hl=en

I like the part at the top that says - "Another discussion addresses this question."

Then when you go to "Another discussion" - you get - "FAQ":  This thread is closed."

Golly, gee - that's helpful -

And Mishka's answer - at the very bottom - 

@caseyq - the Help Center for Blogger explains that the images are stored on Picasa

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42475

Did you find this answer helpful?
Yes
No
=====

Ummmm - NO!!

If you go to the site Mishka mentions and find the section -

What are the limits on the size or number of pictures uploaded?
To find out how much space you have available, please see this help article.

And click on the help article - it isn't there!!

=====

Anyway - this is how I understand it -

Blogger is a Google account - so they are related.  Picasa is also a Google account - and is the default storage site for Blogger photos.  It stores all of the photos that have been posted on your blog.  I had no idea - I never set up an account with Picasa.  I never downloaded the software - nothing.  When I uploaded a photo - it was from my computer - I skipped the other listings thinking I didn't have any accounts - not knowing it had been set up automatically - "in the background" - and was storing all of my photos.  Silly me - I thought I was "copying" them from my computer and "pasting" them to my blog.  I didn't know I was "storing" them - in Picasa.

And these are the answers I gave a couple of readers who were kind enough to play along and leave me a comment on my last post -

Toni - I didn't choose Picasa.  It was automatically attached to my blog by Google.  It is the default storage site Blogger uses for the photos posted on my blog.  I didn't know I even had it.  I don't know how Blogger works with Flickr or Yahoo.  I'm going to do one more post and then drop the whole subject.  Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Katie -  I don't know anymore.  Silly me - I thought I was "copying" photos from my computer and "pasting" them to my blog.  I had no idea that my blog photos were/are being stored by Google in a Picasa Web Album.  Blogger is a Google account and Picasa is the default storage site for Blogger photos.  I'm going to do one more post and then drop the whole subject.  It all makes my head hurt.

So that's it - no more talk about Picasa -  I'll shut up now - just don't say I didn't warn you -


Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew - the ladies are calling my name -

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

I guess I'm okay with Picasa - maybe I need to spend more time reading 'fine print' because now I wonder where else 'stuff' will show up publicly. As for pictures - because I'm posting them on my blog, I'm approving them for public viewing - so having them in Picasa for the world to see is okay - just wish I'd known it :-) And yeah, everyone 'passes the buck' even in cyber space!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...