Monday, May 23, 2011

Design Wall Monday - 5/23/11

Design Wall Monday - 5/23/11

So here’s what’s on my design wall today –


It may look pretty much the same as last week -


but I actually have made progress.


This is the status of each one – today –

1.  Hibiscus – red on white -
Last week -
Hand appliquéd – hand quilted
Needs more quilting – I’ll do that by machine – try out my sewing machine’s “hand” look quilting stitch.
Needs binding – I’ll bind it and use it as a sample for my series on binding quilts.

This week - almost DONE
I decided against doing any more quilting and bound it with pre-packaged red quilt  binding.


Then I used some twill tape - some small brass safety pins - and a chopstick - to hang it.
It still needs a label and story.  (No heart or scrapcard on this one - rats!)


2.  Ulu – green on muslin - no change from last week
Hand appliquéd
Needs quilting and binding – by machine

3.  Pineapple – green on muslin - 
Last week -
Hand-basted for hand applique
Needs to be redone for machine appliqué – fusible interfacing?

This week - 
I removed the hand basting and pin basted the applique to a piece of fusible interfacing.
Now I need to stitch around it - slowly - turn it inside out - and fuse it to a background square.



4.  Hibiscus – dark yellow on light yellow -
Last week -
Partially hand appliquéd by two of my teachers – and me – as a teaching aid
May just leave it the way it is

This week - almost DONE
I decided to leave it just the way it is.
I wrapped it up and put it away with a note saying who stitched what and when.
I still need to write up the story.  (No label - heart - or scrapcard for this one, either.)

5.  Ginger – red on white - no change from last week
Hand-basted for hand applique
Needs to be redone for machine appliqué – fusible interfacing?

6.  Stephanotis – black on white - no change from last week
Hand-basted for hand applique
Needs to be redone for machine appliqué – fusible interfacing?

7.  Woodland Lei – peach on rust batik - no change from last week
Fused-basted
Ready for machine appliqué

So - in order of completion - 

#1 and #4 are almost DONE
#2 block is done
#7 block needs to be machine appliqued
#3
block needs to be sewn to the interfacing - turned - fused - machine appliqued
#5 and #6 blocks need to be redone for machine applique


Tomorrow is Two Question Tuesday.  Wednesday I’ll show you some more photos of my sewing room.  Stay tuned.



Talk to you later – gotta go – gotta sew –

3 comments:

Katie M. said...

Kitty, love the Hawaiian blocks - have to ask - You mentioned using a fusible web, stitching, turning right side out and then fusing to plain block to prepare for machine applique - have you ever used the dryer sheets instead of the fusible? I haven't, but have thought about it, and thought I'd use school glue to secure for applique as it washes out. Could you share your thoughts on this with me? Note: I use school glue alot in my regular sewing as well as quilting!
Katie M.

Chris said...

These blocks are just wonderful. Great work.

Kitty said...

Katie M. –
No - I have never used dryer sheets instead of the fusible (interfacing – not web) for “linings”. I’m not sure how well they would hold up to the “turning inside out” part of the process. I usually use dryer sheets (and coffee filters) for “stabilizers” - when I do machine appliqué – so that the stitches lay nice and flat and don’t scrunch up the background fabric. The dryer sheets tear away nicely - which is why I wonder if they will hold up as “linings”.

The school glue part would probably work, though. Let’s both try it and compare notes.

^..^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...